Ohio State senior forward Lindsey Agnew (20) celebrates one of her three goals against Iowa with Ohio State junior forward Sammy Edwards (19) in a game at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium on Sept. 25, 2016. The Buckeyes won the game 3-0. Credit: Colin Hass-Hill | Assistant Sports Director

The Ohio State women’s soccer team’s matinee matchup against the Iowa Hawkeyes (6-6) on Sunday was filled with narratives. After being shut out in their last two games, the Buckeyes scored three goals in six minutes during the second half, leading to a 3-0 victory on parents’ day. The win also marked the first for OSU (7-4-1) in its past five games and the first against a Big Ten opponent this season.

But the real story — as has been the case for much of the Buckeyes’ season — was senior forward Lindsay Agnew. Agnew scored all three of OSU’s goals, marking the first hat trick of her career, and the 13th ever for OSU women’s soccer.

“It feels amazing; I was so excited just to put the first one in the back of the net because we’ve been missing out on some goals,” Agnew said. “It feels even better when I get to see all my teammates get to go in the game and make an impact. It really is the best feeling.”

The first goal of the afternoon came in the 49th minute when OSU junior midfielder Nikki Walts set up Agnew, who was at the close left wing. Agnew’s shot went off the hands of Iowa freshman goalkeeper Nikki Graves.

Just two minutes later, Agnew scored from in the box after OSU senior forward Nichelle Prince stole the ball off an Iowa midfielder. Prince, who is Agnew’s roommate, said she feels proud of what her teammate has been able to accomplish.

“It’s really just a testament to how hard she’s worked and how much she gives to this team,” Prince said. “For her to get those three goals, it was awesome. She really deserves it.”

Agnew’s third and final goal was a header in the 53rd minute.

The three goals against the Hawkeyes pushed Agnew’s season goal total to eight, already doubling her previous career high of four midway through the season. Agnew said she believes a number of factors has led to her offensive output.

“It’s my last year and that brings a new panic to your game,” Agnew said. “I think just the confidence and having my teammates around me to support me has really helped me score more goals.”

OSU coach Lori Walker is happy to see Agnew find that success.

“I asked her if she’s ever had a hat trick and she said ‘No, it’s my first time.’ It’s pretty special (for it to happen on) parents’ day of her senior year,” Walker said.  “She’s been such a strong leader for us, she’s always our emotional leader and so it’s nice to see her get that opportunity today.”

Agnew and the Buckeyes will continue Big Ten play when they face off against Northwestern at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium on Saturday at 7 p.m.