OSU redshirt freshman K.J. Hill (14) runs into the endzone for a touchdown during the first half of the Buckeyes’ season opener against Bowling Green on Sept. 3 at Ohio Stadium. The Buckeyes won 77-10. Credit: Alexa Mavrogianis | Photo Editor

After sustaining the loss of redshirt freshman linebacker Justin Hilliard earlier in the bye week, Ohio State sustained another loss. Redshirt freshman wide receiver K.J. Hill suffered a high ankle sprain according to OSU coach Urban Meyer, and was seen in a walking boot with crutches on campus on Monday.

Hill, a consensus four-star receiver from North Little Rock High School, redshirted the 2015 season. This year, Hill caught two passes for 58 yards and a touchdown against Bowling Green, but failed to register a catch against Tulsa and Oklahoma.

Meyer said Hill had surgery and will be out for three to four weeks.

The wide receiving unit for OSU was a question mark after the first two games of the year. Junior H-back Curtis Samuel had been leading the team before redshirt sophomore Noah Brown exploded for four touchdowns against the Sooners.

The loss of Hill affects the depth of the team at receiver, which is still trying to replace the loss of Michael Thomas, Braxton Miller and Jalin Marshall.

Hill was listed behind redshirt senior Corey Smith and redshirt sophomore Johnnie Dixon on the depth chart. However, Smith suffered a hand injury and was wearing a cast throughout the Oklahoma game.

The injury to Hill might result in more targets for freshman Austin Mack and freshman Binjimen Victor, who currently sit near the bottom of the depth chart.

Hill sustained a hand injury during spring camp but continued to play with a cast.