Senior forward Danny Jensen advances the ball down the field against a UC Santa Barbara defender. Credit: Ohio State Athletics

The Ohio State men’s soccer team entered the night looking for that elusive first goal of the season. By the time the night came to an end, the Buckeyes would still be searching.

The Buckeyes fell 2-0 to the Portland Pilots, dropping to 0-3 on the season.

Portland looked to be in control of the game right out of the gate, and the Ohio State defense could only bend so much before eventually breaking in front of the 2,972 in attendance.  

The match entered halftime with the Pilots owning a 7-1 shot advantage. They also had a 5-0 advantage in corner kicks.

The first goal for the Pilots came in the 67th minute, a shot from nine yards out in the lower right corner by midfielder Gio Magana-Rivera. It was the freshman’s first career goal.

Portland’s second goal came just 10 minutes later in the 77th minute. Pilots junior forward Erik Edwardson was able to corral a rebound off the goalpost and get a slow roller just past redshirt freshman goalkeeper Parker Siegfried to give the Pilots a 2-0 lead.

Sophomore midfielder Jackson Jellah continued to shine for Portland. Jellah assisted on both of the team’s goals in the game. After scoring the Pilots’ first three goals of the season, Jellah has now been a part of all five goals the team has scored so far.

While the offense still remains a concern for the Buckeyes, their biggest problem in this game was fouls. Ohio State committed 14 fouls in the game, compared to Portland’s seven.

Five yellow cards were assessed to OSU in the game.

In the 83rd minute, Buckeyes senior forward Yaw Amankwa was given a red card. The team was forced to play a man down for the remainder of the game.  

Their next contest is Monday, Sept. 5 at 3 p.m. at Oregon State. It is the last game on this West Coast road trip.