Democratic Vice Presidential nominee Tim Kaine speaks to supports during a canvassing event in Upper Arlington on Oct. 19. Credit: Alexa Mavrogianis | Photo Editor

Democratic vice-presidential nominee Tim Kaine speaks to supporters during a canvassing event in Upper Arlington on Oct. 19. Credit: Alexa Mavrogianis | Photo Editor

Democratic vice-presidential nominee Tim Kaine visited Upper Arlington on Wednesday morning to urge Ohioans to vote for his running mate, Hillary Clinton.

“Ohio is checkmate, if we win Ohio it’s over,” said Kaine at the event.

Although Kaine stressed the importance of the Ohio vote, Jake Vasilj, president of Ohio State’s chapter of College Democrats, said Clinton could win without the Buckeye state.

“It is definitely possible for Secretary Clinton to win without carrying Ohio. We know, according the FiveThirtyEight and other sources, that there are far more paths to victory for Secretary Clinton than there are for (Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump),” Vasilj said.

One of the main objectives of the event was to canvas in order to achieve early voter turnout in Ohio.

In the 2016 election, early voter turnout in Franklin County has exceeded the level it was at as of this time in the 2012 election, said Patricia Rice, a Clinton campaign volunteer working in Ohio.

Kaine made it clear to the audience that the goal is to win by the biggest margin possible in order to suppress any accusations that the election is rigged by the Trump campaign.

“I’m gonna be 9-0,” said Kaine, referencing his political career in which he has never lost a race.

The senator from Virginia went on to discuss the economy, stronger leadership in the world and fostering a community of respect.

“For me the tagline ‘Stronger Together’ isn’t just a slogan it is a tagline of principles,” said Schneider.

Finally Kaine also took some shots at Trump, just hours before the final presidential debate scheduled for Wednesday night, and a day before Trump’s scheduled visit to Delaware County on Thursday.

“I hope the moderator or the debate format allows there to for some probing into whether if Donald has details or plans or whether it is just a big insult fest that he seems to want to turn American politics into,” said Kaine.

Additionally, Kaine had some praise for his running mate on her debate skills over the past two debates.

“The thing that I loved the best about that (first) debate is even if you had the sound off you can look and know there is one President on that stage,” he said.

The third and final presidential debate will take place tonight at 9 p.m. at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas and will be moderated by Chris Wallace.

Representatives from OSU’s chapter of College Republicans did not respond to multiple requests for comment.