OSU senior forward Lindsay Agnew (20) attempts a shot against Iowa on Sept. 25, 2016 at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. Credit: Colin Hass-Hill | Assistant Sports Director

The Ohio State women’s soccer team concluded its regular season on the road Wednesday night, falling to Penn State, 2-0.
The Buckeyes ended regular season play with a 10-6-3 (4-4-3 Big Ten) record. OSU has now finished seven out of their last eight seasons breaking 10 wins total.  The Penn State Nittany Lions improve to 11-3-4 (7-1-3 Big Ten), solidifying their position near the top of the Big Ten overall standings.

OSU had multiple opportunities to score, but the Buckeyes were unable to find the back of the net.

Senior forward Nichelle Prince jumped on a stolen ball, missing a short-range shot in a one-on-one matchup with the goalkeeper in the 17th minute.  Another scoring opportunity came in the 34th minute, when senior forward Lindsay Agnew found a way around the Penn State defense, shooting a ball which hit the crossbar, eventually falling into the hands of the goalkeeper.

The Penn State offense outshot the Buckeyes 13-10, also topping OSU 4-2 in corner kicks.  OSU sophomore goalkeeper Devon Kerr recorded five total saves, but could not stay perfect.

Penn State freshman midfielder Laura Freigang capitalized on a connected cross into the goalkeeper’s box, scoring off a header in the 50th minute, putting Penn State in the lead, 1-0.  Late in the game, Nittany Lions sophomore midfielder Charlotte Williams received a cross and scored from eight yards out in the 74th minute, expanding the lead over the Buckeyes to 2-0.

OSU junior midfielder Nikki Walts made one last attempt deep into the game, with a shot to the far post in the 85th minute, only to have been saved by a stretching dive.

OSU finished tied for eighth in the Big Ten, but won’t be in the Big Ten tournament starting on Oct. 30 due to a tiebreaker with Indiana.
The Buckeyes wait for an announcement from the NCAA to determine whether or not they will have a bid in the tournament. The selection will occur on Nov. 7 at 4:30 p.m.