Home » Campus » Accounts of knife attack at Ohio State detail chaos on Monday morning

Accounts of knife attack at Ohio State detail chaos on Monday morning

A close up of the attacker's car that plowed into a group of OSU students on the morning of Nov. 28 outside of Watts Hall. Credit: Mason Swires | Assistant Photo Editor

A close up of the attacker’s car that plowed into a group of OSU students on the morning of Nov. 28 outside of Watts Hall. Credit: Mason Swires | Assistant Photo Editor

A suspect is dead after attacking nine students with a car and a butcher knife in front of Watts Hall Monday morning, both Columbus Division of Police and University Police said.

Police said they have not yet identified the suspect, who was shot by an on-duty University Police officer. The nine students were taken to three area hospitals, where they were treated for stab wounds and injuries sustained from the vehicle.

Students were outside of Watts Hall after a fire alarm prompted them to exit the building onto West 19th Avenue. Ameera Khan, a third-year in material science and engineering, said students were returning to class when a gray Honda Civic sedan “screeched” around the corner from College Road. The car plowed into students on the sidewalk before the driver emerged and attacked students with a butcher knife.

“I took a step to the left, and he swerved into a group of people who were standing on the sidewalk,” she said. “I didn’t realize what was going on. I just wanted to get away from that, and my friend that I was with said he had a knife and that he was charging at people that were around the car with his knife.”

Eyewitness accounts on the scene said students began fleeing from the area before a University Police officer, who has not yet been identified, arrived on the scene and demanded the suspect drop his weapon. When the attacker did not comply, the officer shot him.

Michael Cloonan, a second-year in welding engineering, said he heard four gunshots from his classroom in Smith Lab, directly across from Watts.

According to police, there was no indication of a firearm on the scene and no evidence of a second shooter after a sweep of the area. The initial reports of a possible shooter on campus were most likely caused by the officer opening fire.

Another student in front of Watts Hall who witnessed the events, Jared Crandall, a third-year material science and engineering, said he heard the officer engage the suspect.

“I just turned around and told everybody, ‘This guy’s got a knife,’ and we all just took off,” Crandall said. “We turned this corner and all of a sudden we heard a few gunshots. We just kept going.”

The incident is currently under investigation by both police departments.

University President Michael Drake addressed the media at the Wexner Medical Center following the attack. Drake offered his condolences to those affected by the attack, and said the victims were in his thoughts, and he said the university was ready to respond.

“Let me say first I want to give our thoughts and prayers and hopes and wishes recovery for speedy recovery to all those injured,” he said. “We prepare for situations like this and always hope never to have one.”

Another press conference is scheduled for 4 p.m.

One comment

1. Islam is not peaceful. Islam is the religion of a weak God and created by a perverted false prophet. What kind of “God” needs his followers to kill for him? That doesn’t sound like a god at all.

I know some of you Muslims are going to read this so let me tell you that your religion contradicts itself and does not understand God. Your religion worships wickedness and after you all eventually die and meet the true God, you will understand that the true God doesn’t need you to kill people. What? Don’t you understand that the lifespan of the average man/woman will never compare to eternity? Don’t you know that every man has an appointment with death? Just die naturally and let other people die naturally and then let God sort it all out in the end.

If you continue to worship wickedness and kill people (or try to kill people in this case), you’re still going to die eventually anyway and when you do meet God you will most likely be condemned to drink damnation forever and ever. Killing people serves no good purpose whatsoever. For each person has a soul and no man can kill another man’s soul. Repent, change your life and follow the truth in all patience, kindness and love. In other words, convert from Islam to Christianity.

Islam is wicked, fleshly, cowardly and weak.
    Christianity is the righteous, spiritual, brave and strong.

It takes a heck of a lot more strength and bravery to lay down your life for what is true and right then it does to kill innocent people over some stupid lies. Mankind itself (even without God) has more common sense then Islam.

God bless you with understanding today