Home » Campus » Board of Trustees: $200K bonus proposed for Drake; Ohio State office in Ethiopia gets committee approval

Board of Trustees: $200K bonus proposed for Drake; Ohio State office in Ethiopia gets committee approval

University President Michael Drake speaks at the OSU University Address at the William B. Saxbe Law Auditorium on Jan. 21. Credit: Ed Momot | For The Lantern

University President Michael Drake speaks at the OSU University Address at the William B. Saxbe Law Auditorium on Jan. 21. Credit:Lantern File Photo

A bonus for University President Michael Drake was approved by the Ohio State Board of Trustees Talent and Compensation Committee on Thursday morning to the tune of $204,000.

A 2-percent raise to his salary was also passed by the committee. Both proposals are scheduled to go before the entire Board for final approval on Friday.

Last year, Drake received a $200,000 bonus and a 2-percent raise to his $800,000 base salary.

In a separate meeting Thursday morning, the Audit and Compliance Committee approved the creation of an Ohio State office in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

The office would be funded by outside grants and work with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to fight zoonotic diseases — or diseases that can be transferred from animals to humans, a classification that includes the likes of Ebola — for a period of five years.

That proposal is also scheduled to go before the full board for final approval on Friday.

1. How disgusting. He doesn’t deserve all that money.

2. If OSU is so desperate to make money that it is SELLING photos with Brutus for $25, you’d think the BoT could reconsider that $200k for Drake. Poor Brutus will have to pose EIGHT THOUSAND TIMES to make up Drake’s bonus.

3. Dr Drake is one of the worst presidents this university has ever had. He got egg on his face right away when he started and he’s continued to be nothing but a puppet for special interests and corporate affairs. That bonus could be used to fund further research, hire another professor, or to make improvements in the campus that are needed but non funded. It’s just another grave example of how the BoT pads the pocket books of the top tier but then tells the rest of the employees of the university that they can’t afford anything. Show me where he’s made such an impact deserving of not only his annual pay raise but also that bonus and I’ll show you thousands of employees who have a far greater impact and whom are far more deserving of a true cost of living increase and bonus. Another sad day for us OSU employees and Alum.

4. Seems quite a bit overboard in lieu of tuition I personally think the whole OSU is more about money than education. With Drake and his admission n crew and Meyer and his crew. Seems to me like greed is taking ove the campus

5. Once again -it should be pointed out that the “initial decision” that seems to define people’s attitude toward Drake -is misplaced. The decision was in place before he came- it was not made by him. It was the bow-tie’s minions that had made that decision long before Drake arrived on campus. the 200k bonus is chump change compared to what they used to pile on Gee year after year-confounding opinion of him outside Columbus. He was and is not the man people think he is. Is Drake deserving of 200k bonus???-sadly in the corporate world of Universities -nationwide is staggering since the industry has jumped in the waters of running every University like a company. Scholarship, appreciation of academia long since jumped off the sinking ship. It is bottom line, bottom line, bottom line.

And once again- Meyer and the OSU Athletic Corporation are self-funded -benefiting the 36 varsity teams at TOSU–12 more than required by the NCAA Inc.

6. OSUAlumand Employee

Must be nice. Bonus is 25% of base salary. OSUWMC folks got a $300 “discretionary” bonus for their efforts.