The Ohio State Board of Trustees Master Planning and Facilities Committee met Nov. 3 in the Sanders Grand Lounge at the Longaberger Alumni House in Columbus, Ohio. Credit: Mitch Hooper

The Ohio State Board of Trustees Master Planning and Facilities Committee met Nov. 3 in the Sanders Grand Lounge at the Longaberger Alumni House in Columbus, Ohio. Credit: Mitch Hooper | Engagement Editor

Members of the Ohio State Board of Trustees Master Planning and Facilities Committee met Thursday morning to continue the discussion on Framework 2.0 and future plans for the redevelopment of campus.

A common theme throughout the discussion of Framework 2.0 — a plan to remodel and renovate multiple buildings on OSU’s campus — was the importance of ensuring the available space on campus will be used effectively and efficiently. By examining both near- and long-term plans for West Campus, Medical Campus and restructuring roadways these plans are not about what we need today, rather, for generations of future development, said LuAnne Greene, president of Ayers Saint Gross, a planning and design firm from Maryland.

Citing West Campus and the historic core of campus, Greene said the abundant amount of remaining capacity within the core of campus is one of the reasons people are becoming excited about this project. Greene spelled out the plans as stated in Framework 2.0 and suggested buildings within West Campus were in need of an update, a renovation or demolition. According to the Framework 2.0 plans, West Campus would add four new buildings — including a multi-species agriculture arena and a food security collaborative — while keeping a 24-acre pasture, a field for research and Hope Garden.

A visual representation of the proposed additions to West Campus. Credit: Ohio State Board of Trustees

“For any student in the room, they are probably looking at that and saying, “Wow, that’s exactly where I play baseball, football and throw a Frisbee,” said Alexander Fischer, president and CEO of the Columbus Partnership and board member. “This best illustrates the domino effect and to be able to achieve this we’ve got to prioritize conversations around open-space and green-space.”

Greene also discussed plans for restructuring Lane Avenue, Woody Hayes Drive and Kinnear Road so that they connect individually to North High Street.

In addition to proposed development on West Campus, Framework 2.0 has plans for changes and additions within Medical Campus. Similarly to West Campus, Greene suggested there were buildings within the medical campus area that needed to be addressed through updates, renovations or demolition.

As for the roads running to and from Medical Campus, Greene talked about the proposed realigning Cannon Drive between King Avenue and Herrick Drive and make getting from the highway to the medical center easier with more postings of directions.

“We also know the interchanges off of (Interstate) 71 are underutilized and in part that’s because they are confusing,” Greene said.

A previous version of this article stated LuAnne Greene was a member of the Board of Trustees and described Ayers Saint Gross as an agriculture firm. In fact, that is not the case.