Home » Sports » Football » Football: Post-game comments lead to reprimand for Harbaugh, $10,000 fine for Michigan

Football: Post-game comments lead to reprimand for Harbaugh, $10,000 fine for Michigan

Michigan football coach Jim Harbaugh looks on after the last touchdown during the game on Nov. 26 at Ohio Stadium. The Buckeyes won 30-27. Credit: Mason Swires | Assistant Photo Editor

Michigan football coach Jim Harbaugh had some strong words for the media following his team’s 30-27 double-overtime loss to Ohio State on Saturday. During post-game interviews, the Toledo native had harsh criticisms for the officiating. The comments resulted in a $10,000 fine imposed by the Big Ten Conference on Michigan.

A public reprimand was also issued to the Wolverines’ coach, with no further punishment announced at this time. The comments made by Harbaugh were stretched throughout the presser, and he failed to answer many of the reporters’ questions, instead speaking about the officiating rather than his team.

“I’m bitterly disappointed in the officiating,” Harbaugh said on Saturday. “I could have been watching the game instead of being concerned (with sideline behavior.)”

Although he is known for his tirades, Harbaugh had never been directly reprimanded by the Big Ten. The statement on the subject reads as follows.

“The Big Ten office today issued a public reprimand of Michigan football head coach Jim Harbaugh for violating the Big Ten Sportsmanship Policy following Michigan’s game against Ohio State on Nov. 26, 2016. In addition, the conference announced that the institution has been fined $10,000 as a result of the violation.”

One comment

1. As a former football referee, Harbaugh was simply lying when he said, he could see that OSU Barrett was about a foot short from making the first down line.

The first down line was the 15 yard line. However, all coaches and team players are required to stay or are restricted in area outside the 25 yard lines on the sidelines.

So, Harbaugh was no closer than the 25 yard line and the play taking place at the 15 yard line. Therefore, Harbaugh could not have a straight view of the 15 yard line to see whether the runner (ball) made it.