Home » Campus » From the archives: Ohio State attacker featured in ‘Humans of Ohio State’

From the archives: Ohio State attacker featured in ‘Humans of Ohio State’

Abdul Razak Artan sits pensively on the Oval. Credit: Kevin Stankiewicz | Oller Reporter

On Monday afternoon, the Ohio State Department of Public Safety released the name of the suspect involved in the violent incident near Watts Hall — Abdul Razak Ali Artan, a third-year in logistics management. The Lantern had interviewed Artan as part of Humans of Ohio State, a print-only feature in The Lantern’s Arts&Life section. Below, The Lantern has reproduced the same interview that appeared in the Aug. 25 issue of the paper. The text below is a direct quote from Artan.

“I just transferred from Columbus State. We had prayer rooms, like actual rooms where we could go pray because we Muslims have to pray five times a day.

“There’s Fajr, which is early in the morning, at dawn. Then Zuhr during the daytime, then Asr in the evening, like right about now. And then Maghrib, which is like right at sunset and then Isha at night. I wanted to pray Asr. I mean, I’m new here. This is my first day. This place is huge, and I don’t even know where to pray.

“I wanted to pray in the open, but I was scared with everything going on in the media. I’m a Muslim, it’s not what the media portrays me to be. If people look at me, a Muslim praying, I don’t know what they’re going to think, what’s going to happen. But, I don’t blame them. It’s the media that put that picture in their heads so they’re just going to have it and it, it’s going to make them feel uncomfortable. I was kind of scared right now. But I just did it. I relied on God. I went over to the corner and just prayed.”

For a PDF version of this story from the original publication date, Aug. 25, click here.

1. LOL, god of course he is a typical Muslim, Not just a violent jihadist but an imperious ingrate who expects its us kaffir’s job to cater to him. This is why I voted for Trump, you pathetic libtards

• HELL YES, Jonas!

• Lol!!! Jonas! Yes!

• I know you don’t like PC culture, and I don’t either, but please stop using the word libtard. My 15 year old has Down syndrome. He’s a great kid. The R word is hurtful, as is the -tard label that people seem so tied to using. Please get a larger vocabulary. There are a lot of other options.

• I don’t like PC culture except when it might apply to me. You are basically defining PC culture. It is ok unless it hurts me.

Get over yourself.

• You got that right. Everyone is against PC except when it concerns them.

• Why don’t you try not being an asshole? America might be great again.

• Why don’t ppl try not being oversensitive entitled little crybabies and instead man up and work hard?

That’d do a lot more to make America (or any country for that matter) great.

• nobody cares if your 15 year old has down syndrome when addressing a person that drove his car through a crowd of people then proceeded to stab them. quit being an over sensitive self righteous crybaby you libtard. I am not a doctor but I will diagnose you with a common disorder known as sandy vaginitis.

• I don’t like PC culture till it offends me. You basically just defined the culture. Get over it. We don’t give a damn about your child. Hell, retardation was used in the DSM until 2013. Stop supporting PC culture!

Get over yourself

• that was a very disrespectful thing to say to someone. amazing how rude people are when they’re anonymous– no need to be so hateful.

and Jonas, a “typical muslim” is not a terrorist. There is no evidence to support that this attack was related to the man’s religion.

• He repectfully made a point. No one here prob likes pc culture but we dont have to be jerks to one another either. Cmon ppl. Youre what makes all of us look like a holes

• Steven — this is why liberals like myself are always going to disagree with you on this issue. You just show a lack of empathy towards entire groups of people, even when someone respectfully asks you to reconsider the hurtful words you’re using. What you call “political correctness” we call “not being a d!ck to others”.

• “this is why liberals like myself are always going to disagree with you on this issue”

Oh, please! Liberals are the biggest, intolerant PC d!cks in existence!

• No, you’re wrong. You libtards want to enforce your PC speech – we’re smart enough to observe and see the patterns. If you don’t want to face reality, you don’t belong here.

• Steve, you are worse than a terrorist,,,you have no human decency but do possess all that is evil in the world. You are pathetic.

• It is PC to call “Black” people “Black.” What do you call them now that you are removing all PC? Speak loudly so I can hear your answer.

• dude no one cares if your kid has downs

the world is gonna use words that compare people to the disabled regardless of your opinion or the current PC label for them

• People do care if her child has downs. Down syndrome children are some the most amazing people out there. If you want to get a point across, don’t call people names. People just tune out then. I understand that your frustrated. I’m frustrated with people too, and would love to call people names, but it doesn’t help. Especially when you’re insulting individuals who have done nothing wrong, and aren’t part of what your talking about.

• You all who don’t care about children by definition do not have conservative values. You’re just behaving like jerks.

• Sucks about your kid. However, the world doesn’t need to censor itself for your feelings. The fact you place your child in the “tard” categorise is more offensive than the word itself. You shouldn’t even relate your child to that word no matter their disability. You should feel ashamed of yourself.

• Mentally retarded was a term used to refer to people that we now refer to as intellectually disabled, perhaps due to the derogatory use of the term. The word itself was not offensive until our culture began using it as an insult. She does not need to feel ashamed for associating her son with a word that was meant to be purely neutral and descriptive and it is understandable that she would object to the use of the word in this context. The world doesn’t need to censor itself for anyone’s feelings, but being respectful and compassionate towards the valid feelings of others is just being decent.

• Bald foot trother mucker

The term idiot was once a clinical term as was moron and they are no longer used by the professional community after people adopted them as insults – still offensive no doubt , but it won’t stop – need to disassociate it your mind , because like ; moron , idiot and imbecile – it’s not going anywhere.
            I never have and still won’t use it .

• YEP. That’s correct in a nutshell.

• I prefer “lieberals” since the mindless followers of the Media Jew know nothing but lies and propaganda. It isn’t fair to potatoes, unless those potatoes voted for Hillary. Because that’s retarded.

• I want to compliment you on a well-written comment.

• Well then maybe you stop reading these comments to him. How about libturd? That do anything for you?

• no one was referring to down syndrome or your cousin. I cant say they weren’t referring to you though.

• Well that’s a retarded request! Get a life! Your retarded kid isn’t offended by the manner in which “tard” is used… You are! Quit using your kid to push your PC agenda!

• Your lack of empathy is astounding… He was attempting to show you his side of something and everyone attacked him for it. What could have been a conversation and a learning experience turned into an attack. Maybe you don’t know everything? I don’t see how that behavior is acceptable and being politically correct isn’t (which I don’t understand why people hate so much anyway. The way I understand it, it is expanding the courtesy of “Things I wouldn’t say to my boss” to general strangers, or being professional in general, which seems like a nice thing to do.) Also this has nothing to do with the article. I guess it wouldn’t be an internet comment conversation if it did…

• The word retard has a Latin origin and has been used for centuries. It’s original meaning is slow, delay, or regress, and other words synonymous with slow. In music, the word “ritardando” means to regress/ slow gradually. So in essence it can be used as both an adjective or noun. It was used to describe a mentally handicapped person centuries before the “correct” term/diagnosis was ever proposed.
        Sorry you find it offensive but using the word properly does it’s job. It describes a person or process as being slow. People shouldn’t have to stop using this word if using it in the correct sense just to accommodate you.

• BJ then tell the ARC (Association for Retarded Citizens) that the word retarded offended you. Sorry for your kid but put on your big boy panties and grow up. If somebody is retarded, they are retarded. Stop sugar coating everything, the majority of us are sick of it.

• http://www.thearc.org/who-we-are/history/name-change

A History of Name Changes
          1953 – 1973: National Association for Retarded Children (NARC)
          1973 – 1981: National Association for Retarded Citizens (NARC)
          1981 – 1992: Association for Retarded Citizens of the United States (ARC)
          1992 – Present: The Arc of the United States (The Arc)

Changing with the times
          We, as an organization have been sensitive to the impact of terminology on our constituency and have adapted accordingly. As the words ‘retardation’ and ‘retarded’ became pejorative, derogatory and demeaning in usage, the organization changed its name to ‘The Arc.’

Today, the term ‘mental retardation’ remains the terminology used in the medical field and referenced in many state and federal laws. However, ‘intellectual disability’ and ‘developmental disability’ are making their presence known, and we are doing everything in our power to make sure they’re adopted more broadly.

We strongly believe the only ‘r-word’ that should be used when referring to people with intellectual and developmental disabilities is “Respect.”

• So the backlash against PC is to just be insensitive jerks to prove a point? Trump being president is no excuse to regress as human beings.

• Libtard is an L word you phucktard. (that is either a P or F…)

• Regarding PC culture:
        it all came about by people “choosing” to be offended. No one has power over another unless they’re given that power. People may be offensive, however, that is their right to do so, they cannot offend me unless I “choose” to be offended. If we all chose to over look other people failures, they might overlook our own.

• Come on guys, be respectful of the potato Americans

@tardgate

• I’m absolutely astonished that you made 9 people being run down by a follower of Islam about your sons autism & so many morons were so easily distracted by that,narcissistic much?

• Murder is an unforgivable sin in islam, and running over pedestrians and stabbing people falls under trying to commit murder. This could be a case of an unstable person finally snapping completely and becoming what he assumes everyone thinks he is. It’s just a shame all around

• I was just thinking what Belinda wrote — how did the conversation get so diverted from a terrible terrorist attack on campus?
          Artan did more to hurt the Islamic reputation than anything by saying what he said back in august and doing what he did last week. More people will definitely be more leary of Muslims, especially the “soft spoken” ones.

• BJPinMo, at least one person hears you and agrees. (I happen to have a developmentally disabled child as well, but I like to think I would bristle at the hurtful names even if I didn’t.)

• Yes, drop the TARD you insensitive lot

• How long before you start imploring people not to say “special needs” because people already mock other people using that in the way they used “retard”?

• Sorry your son has issues but that doesn’t give you the right to restrict others and their use of words. People call us Injuns – white trash- cracker – you know the drill. Relax libtard is just another word meaning sick liberal – or someone who wants to control your life. Oh yeah – that’s you.

• Does that include: Leotard?

• Nobody referred to your child as a retard, and asking someone not to use a word in a context that had NOTHING to do with your child, or anyone who is ACTUALLY differently-abled IS indicitive of the “PC” mindset. Further more, something im sure you failed to realize is this: since (as previously stated) said comment has nothing to do with your child in any sense, by dragging your child into the equation, YOU are in fact, the one creating the association between your child and the word “retard”. YOU. Not anyone else. I use the word retard. Never towards a person who has any kind of differentability, but its meaning PRECEEDED its derrogative connotation in fact, the word “handicapped” was a deroggatory term for people who were differently abled and on the streets panhandling with their “hand in their cap”. I dont hear ANYONR fussing about THAT word and its ORIGINS are extremely unforgiving so do the world a few favors before you speak: do a LITTLE research, THINK about what you intend to say versus the ACTUAL message you are sending to the world and finally DONT TRY TO DICTATE WHAT OTHER PEOPLE SAY using your differently abled child as a human shield of justification.

• Sure, but saying “Stupid is as stupid does”, takes a lot more effort to type. When someone calls out a ‘Libtard’ it is likely because of the choices said libtard has made.

You and your son should simply say: “He has an extra chromosome, resulting in Down Syndrome. Would you like either of us to explain it to you?” — That will have the immediate effect of shutting down the bully/tormenter, and boosting your son’s self respect.

You’re free to continue to shy away from the “R” word, or embrace the definition which simply states that certain developmental states are reached later in a ‘retarded’ person than the statistical norm for the population.

Words only have the power you give them to make you ‘feel bad’. Words have meaning which allows the users to convey ideas.

I don’t label ‘libtards’ with the word in hops that I might convert them into respectable citizens. I call them that to warn respectable citizens that someone is spouting nonsense, and has takes affirmative steps to embrace the label. I then attach the label to show them I have recognized their accomplishment! Because that’s what they’re after — recognition that they’ve fully embraced all the left-wing talking points, have forfeited critical thought, base their arguments on emotion, etc. All the traits that can be summed up by Forrest Gump’s litany: “Stupid is as stupid does.”

• Thank you, my son is MR and this hurts me. Please do not use Libtard.

• Beware the collaboration between the Islamists and Marxists who control our media. Before you know it they’ll have you believing this attack was the fault of your “white skin privilege”.

• Hahahahaha

• This is why I voted for Trump. DON’T let ANY MUSLIMS INTO OUR COUNTRY!!!

• FYI millions of muslims are already in this country, and have been for ages. If they were violent, there would be a war going on right now, because attacks would be happening every day. Use your brain

• RA, you are correct that Muslims have been in this country, however not in this concentration. Even the fbi admitted that they now have Muslim terror investigations going on in ALL 50 STATES. These terrorist acts are now happening frequently. Respected Muslim leaders are demanding that these types of acts must be carried out. You cannot say the same for any other religion.

• Your a boss man well said brother MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

• Thaddeus Buttmunch MD

In the name of Al-LAH…this is NOT OVER!! We gave him Ebola concentrate gel from infected Blood, and he put it on his knife blade!

• TRUMP WAS RIGHT AGAIN!!
      And while we are talking You know I haven’t seen Democrats this Mad, Since Republicans freed the Slaves!

• Agreed! We need to vow to keep up the fight. Trump winning is not even CLOSE to victory. He is already surrounded by spineless neocons. Demand the right to your own culture and society. Demand the cultural marxists tell you what other culture or country is being openly subverted like this. Wars have been fought for less. ENOUGH!

• You are right on target!

• Stunned by racists

If you took a moment and look up John Wilkes Booth religious faith you’ll find that he was currently A practicing Methodist when he shot Abraham Lincoln. However in the newspapers it was written up that he had a rosary in his hand when he was shot in the Catholic Church had all kinds of hate mail being sent to it and being completely dissed throughout the world. They were finally ultimately be able to prove that John Wilkes Booth was not connected to the Catholic religion in anyway. But still he was a practicing Christian so does that make all Christians terrorists? Then of course you have Adolf Hitler and made public speeches about his Christianity and the reality of what he did to the Jewish community. There are extremists in all groups and you apparently to be one in this group. So if the electoral college gives Hillary the nomination due to the fact that she had the popular vote are you going to go out and start shooting people being the good Christian that you are?

2. Muzzies are incompatible with Western Civilization. OUT OUT OUT!

3. ” I’m a Muslim, it’s not what the media portrays me to be.”
    Yep. You sure showed us the true face of your religion!

• Ah! But that’s the double standard.
      The KKK lynched hundreds of people in the name of religion.
      Additionally many Christians kill people on a day to day basis. But we don’t say “A Christian murdered his wife, or shot up a school” we call them by their name or some other identifying thing such their race, age, or gender.

I will not deny that there is a strong and international strain of Islam that is radical and militant. But the actions of the few do not represent the 1.6Billion others. Combat Radical Islamic Terrorism, not Islam!

• We should identify the religion of all murderers if known. Maybe then people would realize those without religion are less likely to murder, and be able to draw some kind ad actual statistical conclusion about various modes of self deception.

• Thank you for your post. I didn’t realize there are potentially 1.6Billion other terrorists out there.

• Please elaborate what Christians have recently strapped bombs on themselves, slashed people to death, set fires, attacked anyone who did not believe as they do…in the 20th and 21st century?? Hint Timothy McVey was not a Christians as most liberals seem to think and use as an example. Just remember, not all muslims are terriorist, but all terrorist have been Muslim. Wake up and smell the coffee.

• look up the tamil tigers. look up the IRA. These are both groups that have nothing to do with Islam. the IRA in fact would be considered catholic. the Tigers are sometimes the most prolific terrorist group out there and its a secular movement.

• “But we don’t say “A Christian murdered his wife, or shot up a school” we call them by their name or some other identifying thing such their race, age, or gender. ”

That’s because the holy book of christianity doesn’t ask it’s followers to massacre unbelievers. But the quran and the hadiths do. Try reading some of it.

Islam is a religion of war, the quran is full of constant demands to fight and kill.

4. 18 yo kid with an opportunity to obtain s much better education than I ever received and what does he do with it. Thank God for the campus police officer he’s the hero of this story.

5. “It’s the media that put that picture in their heads so they’re just going to have it and it, it’s going to make them feel uncomfortable.”

Sure. It’s all those libelous media. There are no stabby, bomby Muslims.

6. I have a feeling that this photo will soon be used as meme. “Abdul Razak Artan sits pensively on the Oval….thinking about Jihad”

7. He is dead

8. Of course. I wonder what the SJW’s excuse now.

9. Amazing! This article was meant to make anyone who thinks that we should be careful when we allow muslims to come into our country are racist bigots. Now the liberals poster child just went on a killing spree and somehow it will be Trumps fault. Do liberals have the ability to look introspectively and see that their ideas are bad and hurt others?

10. I guess the original has been deleted by thee Great Academy in order not to upset the Little People.

11. Way to go libtards… you people are beyond dumb…

12. Exactly, Jonas.

13. Why even give publicity/glorify a guy that just committed a terrorist attack?

14. So I’m assuming you were praying in your car when you RAN everyone over?

15. Is he demonstrating proper hand job technique in that picture?

16. I feel like he may have been bullied much more because he was Muslim and now that Trump is president-elect….. and now we have disaster.

• check your sources

Tvann what a dumb rationalization-Muslims do not seem to want to assimilate into the Western culture-a lot of them still support the idea of Sharia Law over in the USA. They should have leaders that speak out strongly against terror attacks like this. If they do speak out, it is to blame something or someone else. They should be out front and center. Maybe it is me, but there is a silence from the Muslim leaders since this occurred. Obama and Muslim leaders should be on TV condemning this act of terror. obama cannot even say the word terror . To say this is Trump’s fault is ridiculous. Radical Muslims have waged a jihad against western civilization. They want the westerners to convert or die until the American people realize this then these things are going to continue to happen

17. I wonder if his god told him to take a machete and hack at people or drive his car into a crowd of students? If so, it might be a really BAD idea to put a place where people like him can pray to his god anywhere near that campus.

18. Yes, just your average ,run of the mill moslim. Sure would not like to meet a radical jihadist muslim.

19. One More Example That there’s Only Two Types Of Muslims “The Radical Muslim Who Is Already Dead And The Moderate Muslim Who Is Still Bleeding Out !!!”

20. You wrote “LOL” when people were run over and knifed… Do you even care about the folks who were hurt?

Also this guy is a “typical Muslim” as much as Dylan Roof is a “typical” white Christian. Dylan was on the rolls of a Lutheran church when he shot up a prayer service, killing the pastor and eight others. He ran a white supremacist / neo-nazi website. He was an extremist. Not “typical”

Dylan was as much a Christian as this guy was religious.

• That is incorrect. This guy killed in the name of his religion, which includes the goal of political domination.
      Dylan killed for racial reasons unrelated to Christianity. Your faulty logic continues to hurt people in the real world.

• The difference is that Dylan Roof acted on his own insanity, not that of scripture. Muslims act out of their satanic scripture. Big difference.

21. This thread is filled with closed-minded hatred. Rather than a feeling of remorse for the victims or an attempt to understand the mind of a campus shooter, you are all quick to jump to intolerance and bigotry. One of the many errors in thinking to be found in this thread is that of “White Privilege” The concept of “white privilege” is that if this shooter had been white, we would view it as an isolated incident, or something separate from his race/religion, we would dig to find out the “why” or the “what” had triggered this tragic occurrence …instead, he is brown and Muslim so he is now viewed as a representative for the whole Islamic Faith.
    What happened today was tragic… but this reaction is every bit as tragic.
    As an alumni, I am saddened by the event, heart broken for those families effected, and deeply disappointed in this thread.
    We are all one. Be better

• Chuck,
      I appreciate your thoughts, but if one side says “we are all one”, and the other side says “we must dominate infidels”–well, you can see how that might not end so well for the peaceful side. I agree that not all Muslims are violent extremists, but let’s not forget that there is an active political Islam movement that is able to draw people into commiting atrocities all over the world at a staggering rate.

• ISIS and other violent extremist groups account for something like 1% of 1% of muslims. so yes there is an active political movement just as the KKK is an active movement.

• nobody cares you old faggot
      muslims please go

• Can you elaborate how, exactly, “we are all one?” Also, how many such acts of terrorism, in your view, will be a sufficient number to concede that the so called haters might well be right? Or in your view can there be ANY such number? In other words, is your ideology (Religion) more important than conceding “haters” are right and you wrong?

• Chuck, fortunately I don’t think these are OSU students/alumni making these callous remarks here. The flood of posts and groupthink suggest they’re mostly coming from one of the many cesspools spewed across the Internet. The vast majority of Buckeyes I know are not close minded idiots like these cretins.

• You’re goofy. If it was your kid being stabbed by a Muslim extremist, would you be singing the same tune?

• Thank you for writing this!! Wholeheartedly agree.

• This guy literally attacked people in the name of his religion and you’re wondering why people point to Islam as the cause. Hmm. Then, when race has nothing to do with this issue (Islam is a religion, you bigot) you point the finger to white people based on nothing but the color of their skin and falsely assume that everyone in this thread is white.

“This reaction is every bit as tragic”? The next time a comment on the internet injures 9 people, let us all know.

• The bigotry and hatefulness people always seem to turn towards is impacting the lives of 1.6 billion people all over the world. This hate is only forcing more and more Muslims to turn to terrorism to get revenge on those that insult their God and families. This is why this college student did what he did. By calling all Muslims terrorists, you are essentially turning them into what you fear. Just to be clear, terrorists are killing in the name of their religion, but it is a messed-up, unrealistic portrayal of what the vast majority of Muslims practice.

• Leo, what is wrong with you? Seriously. It takes a special kind of evil to do some thing like this and you are a horrible human being for attempting to justify it with claims of bigotry.

• Let me get this straight. They’re a peaceful people, but as soon as harsh words come their way they go on killing rampages?

Plenty of people are bullied and harassed. This guy, in contrast, was given an education paid for by the good people of this country and at the very least the school paper was on his side. I wouldn’t doubt if he’d also received some harassment in his life–who hasn’t? But no amount of name calling or unkindness equates to or justifies actual attacks.

• Where is the proof that this kid did it for his religion? He was not recorded saying a single word during this attack. He may have argued that he would like to have more space to pray on campus, but this doesn’t give us a direct link to his actions recently. I am not defending him at all, I think its terrible. But we cannot assume that he did this for religion. There is no evidence showing a direct link from his actions today to his faith. He might’ve been mentally sick for all we know.

• Thank you. Heartbreaking to see the amount of hate here

• I came from an islamic country. I know the nature of islam, muslims very well. Many that are anti-islam know islam very well and they know very well islam inspires intolerant bigotry and violence in the name of their false god.
      Who is closed-minded? It’s actually you because after all that have happened in the name of islam, you still foolishly think a jihadist act is just isolated incident unrelated to his religion. Not only you are closed-minded, you have a foolish biased brain commonly associated with progressive left, that cannot analyze even something very obvious.

• Well, you tell us. Do you think someone like him belonged at a place like OSU given where he came from? Cause he apparently migrated in 2014, two years ago, when he was 16.

• Amen, Chuck. Amen.

22. School attacks in the USA people of color 2 that i can recount other folks _ _ that what i thought silence. i am sadden by the events that occurred today but before we start finger pointing wait for the facts to come in since this seems to be more of a suicide by cop than anything else.

23. His religion dictates that all Christians be destroyed. A real example by this individual of his religion. A Muslim is a Muslim!1

• Christianity also states that anyone who practices a religion other than Christianity “is condemned”. Why do we never hear about this in the deep, dark corners of the Internet comments section?

• Leo, there is no Christian movement advocating the deaths of others. As a matter of fact, Christians are on the ground doing charity work and raising money for all types of people. Unfortunately, we both know that we are already seeing this act celebrated among far too many Muslims. Your attempt to rationalize this evil act leads me to be concerned about your mental state.

• This is so sad…humanity is gone… CHRISTIANS should not JUDGE! Why can’t we work together to solve a issue instead of everyone needing to be right! Why can’t there be sympathy for all humans especially the victims of today! I am not happy to say I am an American today! This crude rude hateful talk in comments started a year ago after All the media did was cover the misleading information from trumps mouth! I have been in chats my whole life everyday but never has hatred, name calling, open racism been this bad! No one even gets along anymore anywhere ! Even my church is separated! I honestly can’t take the hate all around me which has inflated a year ago! Our country has crumbled! No trump is not at fault but the defensiveness name calling in every chat, school, church, family functions,work is too much to handle! I’ve had enough of so many negative unhelpful people who just hurt rash out at strangers for what they believe in! Give up no one will change anyone’s mind why try??? I don’t even want to leave my home anymore it’s hurtful to see so many people arguing and hurting others everyday all day long! My son witnessed the knife attack and I came here to see compassion but nevertheless I see hatred! May god bless everyone in our country which is going to hell, find it in your self to stop hurting others and trying to change someone’s mind it’s not going to happen! You all seem narcissistic to me! I’m done

• Sure, condemned to burn in hell, but the Christians themselves don’t impose that punishment

24. Guess it isn’t just the media after all but actually the muslim extremists who put that idea in people’s heads.

25. You should all Google images of the writer of that propaganda piece, Kevin Stankiewicz . If anyone looks like a die-hard Hillary supporter, it’s him.

Would it kill the journalism industry to have one or two journalists who look like they go to the gym or play sports? Why must all male journalists look so effeminate?

26. ISLAM IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH WESTERN CIVILIZATION – WAKE UP

27. He knew when he came to OSU, or he should have done his homework that his prayer needs would not be met. If he was not happy with how we do things, then he may be happier in his home country. But please don’t take it out on us. But we should figure out why, no?

• When you were 18, did you focus a lot on “campus prayer needs” while evaluating schools? Or maybe should the OSU Office of Admissions have said, “hmm, this kid JUST got here from the other side of the planet where TWO b@tsh!t crazy groups, ISIS and Al-Shabaab, are terrorizing the populace. He may feel isolated as a Muslim refugee on our large, impersonal, mainly white campus where nobody’s heard of his country. He may have severe PTSD and a myriad of mental health problems and we’re not equipped to handle young people like that.” Admission denied with explanation. Plunking young refugees from wartorn countries and leaving them without community support in our current situation of religious and anti-immigrant animosity is almost as bad as just leaving them in their hellhole countries. No, he absolutely did not have any business lashing out. But I’m not surprised he did.

• I was bullied and abused my entire childhood and still have no desire to run over and stab people. I mean come on! Are you freaking kidding me?!

• Firstly, I want to say I am sorry you were bullied and abused. But I don’t think anyone in the U.S., unless they have been in a war zone like Somalia, or have worked with the Somali community really gets what that place is like, so I will try to paint you a picture. Did your abusers try to conscript you as a child soldier by pointing AK-47s at you? Did car bombs go off in your neighborhood? Did people shoot RPG’s at your house? Your car? Did you starve? Were you forced to watch people getting stoned to death? How about getting their hands or feet cut off? You could always call the cops if things got really really really bad, right? What if there were no cops to call? There’s no cops in Somalia. No government. Ever meet any warlords in your neighborhood? Were you regularly exposed to rampant infectious diseases like cholera, malaria, dysentery, measles, dengue fever, yellow fever, typhoid fever, and the bubonic plague? Unless you left the U.S., I doubt it. You could drink the water out of the faucet, right? It wouldn’t kill you to do so. There WAS water coming out of the faucet? You wouldn’t get worms that burrowed into your skin from walking barefoot anywhere. And you could still go to a hospital ER and get free treatment because there WAS a hospital right? Nobody bombed it, killed the doctors and nurses, and stole all the equipment and medicine. Were there pirates walking around with fifty caliber guns? (Those are the size usually mounted on the backs of trucks). If a mosquito or fly bit you, it wouldn’t kill you, right? Your food, it didn’t contain killer infections either? It was safe to eat? No parasites laid eggs in it? It wouldn’t give you a disease similar to Ebola called Crimean Congo hemorraghic fever? You’ve never been forced to marry a warlord and then been held as a sex slave/”wife” under threat of death if you try to run away for committing “adultery”?
          Somalia is HELL ON EARTH. Please get on Reuters/Agence France Presse/CIA Worldfactbook and do a little reading about how miserable and Godforsaken that place is. Because my question to you is, are you freaking kidding ME? Violence is a learned behavior. Again, I’m NOT defending what he did. I’m explaining it.

• No, but this guy on Monday did stab 11 people- well either stabbed or ran them over with his car but you get the point. Horrible things happen every day all around the world and in the US that is not justification for another person to commit 11 acts of attempted murder. Furthermore, he killed 11 random people these weren’t people doing wrong doing to him, they might not of even known who is was. So even though you say you’re not justifying his actions.. You are doing just that. I agree violence is a learned behavior but what you’re not willing to conclude yet is that if what you say is true and immigrants from certain countries are, as you described, a ticking time bomb. Then the solution is to not let me in the country, that’s not racist nor bigotry that’s self-preservation. See what you missed while doing all your trivial research which I do mean is trivial, go research another third world country and ta-da more heinous crimes do you think it mitigates their actions once they are here? No it doesn’t. What you missed is that the bottom line is either they come here and don’t cause crime especially heinous crimes or they don’t come at all. So the more you argue Somalia is a hellhole and disease infested the less Americans want them in the country. Also, it seems like Ohio State was not as bad as Somalia and yet he still treated those innocent people with no remorse. Perhaps remorse is something that is taught at a young age and you seem to think we already don’t have enough of it in this country so the logical step in your thought process would be to not add more fuel to the fire.

Also I would like to touch upon the subject of Muslims, as you see I have only talked about his home country and actions. I believe in holding everyone to the same standard, regardless of race, sex, religion. A college campus primary and highest role is to teach to students. Going to class is what students pay for and why the college even exists at all. Now we have the other secondary roles a college fulfills: Room and board, dining facilities, parking and a means to get to class (buses, sidewalks etc). Now the farther we get away from the college’s primary role the less important and more complex it gets. Thirdly, the role stems to entertainment, study areas, laundry facilities, school store, sports, clubs and so forth. I will not place religion as role a college needs to facilitate until after the first three, landing it at the fourth farthest role. Why? Because there is no place for religion while in college. The key phrase is while in college before you jump to conclusions. There is no way a college can hold everyone to the same standard while simultaneously catering to individual religious needs. It is unfair to let one group of students leave class early or show up late or register before other students based their religion’s needs to pray, eat certain foods or their beliefs. If we did that for Christians the liberal media would have a frenzy about separate church and state, as they should. If you believe not giving SPECIAL permission to students because of their religious believes is somehow construed into not being accepted by the college or that the college is treating that student unfairly than that is illogical and goes against treating every student to the same standards. You want to have a campus that is free from judgement based on religion? Then don’t allow religion to be practice on campus, in the public. If a professor doesn’t know which students of theirs is Jewish Christian Atheist Muslims and the rest then they cannot be, even subconsciously biased towards them. Christians don’t force prayer onto the public, neither does the Jewish religion and furthermore this segregates non-religious people the most because no matter what they will not be included in any special treatment to any of the religions. Now with that said, let me clarify me thoughts. I’m not saying by any means that colleges are not for or should not accept any person based on their religion. Religion should be irrelevant the college shouldn’t even know at admissions or during their time gaining a degree who is religious and what their faith is. What I am saying is that what students want to do when they are not in class or in a public common area that’s open to all people despite their religion want to do on their free time is completely up to them. If a Muslim student works out their class schedule to facilitate their prayer needs then they should go for it, on their time. This means that if they can’t get into a certain class, as every other college student has experienced than that is the student’s prerogative to work around the schedule they get. I also believe there should be no churches on college grounds of any faith. If churches want to build right off of campus and students want to go there in between classes or before or after class more power to them. This will offend people, as I am not surprised these days. This isn’t stopping someone from being religious, no one is being punished for being religious, what it is doing is treating everyone to the same standard and keeping the separation between church and state.

Also I would like to touch upon the subject of Muslims, as you see I have only talked about his home country and actions. I believe in holding everyone to the same standard, regardless of race, sex, religion. A college campus primary and highest role is to teach to students. Going to class is what students pay for and why the college even exists at all. Now we have the other secondary roles a college fulfills: Room and board, dining facilities, parking and a means to get to class (buses, sidewalks etc). Now the farther we get away from the college’s primary role the less important and more complex it gets. Thirdly, the role stems to entertainment, study areas, laundry facilities, school store, sports, clubs and so forth. I will not place religion as role a college needs to facilitate until after the first three, landing it at the fourth farthest role. Why? Because there is no place for religion while in college. The key phrase is while in college before you jump to conclusions. There is no way a college can hold everyone to the same standard while simultaneously catering to individual religious needs. It is unfair to let one group of students leave class early or show up late or register before other students based their religion’s needs to pray, eat certain foods or their beliefs. If we did that for Christians the liberal media would have a frenzy about separate church and state, as they should. If you believe not giving SPECIAL permission to students because of their religious believes is somehow construed into not being accepted by the college or that the college is treating that student unfairly than that is illogical and goes against treating every student to the same standards. You want to have a campus that is free from judgement based on religion? Then don’t allow religion to be practice on campus, in the public. If a professor doesn’t know which students of theirs is Jewish Christian Atheist Muslims and the rest then they cannot be, even subconsciously biased towards them. Christians don’t force prayer onto the public, neither does the Jewish religion and furthermore this segregates non-religious people the most because no matter what they will not be included in any special treatment to any of the religions. Now with that said, let me clarify me thoughts. I’m not saying by any means that colleges are not for or should not accept any person based on their religion. Religion should be irrelevant the college shouldn’t even know at admissions or during their time gaining a degree who is religious and what their faith is. What I am saying is that what students want to do when they are not in class or in a public common area that’s open to all people despite their religion want to do on their free time is completely up to them. If a Muslim student works out their class schedule to facilitate their prayer needs then they should go for it, on their time. This means that if they can’t get into a certain class, as every other college student has experienced than that is the student’s prerogative to work around the schedule they get. I also believe there should be no churches on college grounds of any faith. If churches want to build right off of campus and students want to go there in between classes or before or after class more power to them. This will offend people, as I am not surprised these days. This isn’t stopping someone from being religious, no one is being punished for being religious, what it is dong is treating everyone to the same standard and keeping the separation between church and state.

• Actually, we have interfaith prayer rooms in the Ohio Union. Not too far from the oval.

28. Sad, but won’t be the last.

Trump nation is running around and harassing and bullying muslims, and then blame it on their religion when people have had enough and snap.

29. i give up on america

Well, this Muslim guy went on a killing spree. I guess we better “deport” all 3.3 million Muslims and prevent the rest of the 1.6 billion from ever entering the country. While we’re at it we should also remove all non-Muslims from the country, because Dylann Roof, James Holmes, Robert Dear, Chris Harper-Mercer, Elliot Rodger, Sulejman Talovic, Ivan Lopez, Jiverly Wong, Michael McDermott, Aaron Alexis, Adam Lanza, Seung-hui Cho, Radcliffe Haughton, Andrew Engeldinger, Charles Roberts IV, Wade Page, Jennifer Marco, One Goh, Robert Hawkins, Larry Ashbrook, Mark Barton, Steven Kazmierczak, Charles Williams, Amy Bishop, Jared Loughner, Scott Dekraii, Jeffrey Weise, Doug Williams, Robert Flores, Eric Harris, and Dylan Klebold have all made it very clear that non-Muslims are not to be trusted.

Because I know from experience that Trump supporters will miss the point of this, I will explain it now with what should be very simple words. The point is that it does not make sense to judge millions of people based on the actions of one, or two, or a dozen, or even 31 (or more) people that are part of those millions. Why is this concept so difficult to understand? Can someone please explain what’s so difficult about this? Related note: If you voted for trump simply because you think he’ll remove all the Muslims from the country, you are a simple and gullible tool and I have a bridge for sale.

• Don’t give up on America just yet. Nobody suggested we deport all muslims. And before you accuse others of being gullible tools, consider that right now you’re propagating a lie. There is a difference between deportation and preventing others from immigrating. Of course, it’s easy to make the people you disagree with sound like lunatics when you strawman like this.

If you’d like, I can list a hundred other killers that have nothing to do with this attack, but, like your list, it would be useless. You’re right that not all muslims are a threat. But you can’t deny that 38% of them believe terrorist attacks can be justified. And on that basis, the “Trump supporters” you’re attacking really do have a reason to want to put a stop to immigration from countries that promote these views.

Instead of arguing from a stance of patronizing condescension (“you trump idiots will miss the point of this”), just use the one argument you have (not all muslims are terrorists) without resorting to name calling. That’s a fine debate to have, but instead you’ve decided it’s more pertinent to vent your disappointment in the election than address the issue at hand.

• What is so difficult for you to understand that people need SELF-DETERMINATION and that disparate groups only leads to strife. It is so funny that even folks like you REALLY think the non-Whites will eventually start acting like White people….because that is what is really necessary for society to function. It is all through your programs. Just give the Blacks enough welfare and they will stop stealing. Thing is, your notions have all been disproven. Go move to a non-White country. You won’t because ultimately you want to live in a country with White culture. You just don’t get that that means White people.

• Thanks for the sanity

• Thanks for the sanity. Sadly, the failure of the left to acknowledge the lobsided existential threat that Islam does in fact present has led to the election of a completely unqualified egomaniacal evil clown who can only up the violence perpetrated by all sides of this insane world.

30. Did anyone ever doubt we were dealing with another peaceful Muslim?

31. That guy has to be at least 30 years old.

32. the fact that you assume his religion drove him to do it only shows that you’re all bigoted assholes can’t even wait until the formal investigation done already chomping at the heels so you can justify your bigoted beliefs

• And yet when an African American is shot by a police officer, a large majority of people, as well as media are quick to assume the police officer was racially motivated and do not wait to hear the facts….sounds like a case of the pot calling the kettle black!

33. “not what the media portrays me to be”

LOL, does Mr Stankiewicz now see the ironic truth in that statement?

• sorry, not all of us can predict the future as you can. “LOL”

• You don’t need to be able to “predict the future”. Just not being so damn naive and discard all previous expericence and knowledge as racist/prejudiced and incorrect.

Do you really need to be able to “predict the future” to know that it’s a bad idea to say, stick your head in a burning fireplace? Obviously not.

With muslims, you get islamic terror. Always. That’s a simple fact. Bringing muslims in and then saying “oh nobody could have predicted this” when you get acts of terrorism is beyond moronic.

You may as well let rabid dogs loose and then act surprised “oh I can’t tell the future now can I??” when they bite people. Stop faking ignorance of things that are completely predictable.

And if you’re not faking but are really that, quite frankly, stupid.. Maybe you shouldn’t waste your time being in University. There’s no way you’d have the Brains to pass anyways.

34. Sub-humans of Ohio State

35. Wow! He was a mussie? Go figure!

36. Christian are terrorist too. Look at Colorado springs for example. And my point is not really that, but look at yourselves!

37. Thanks Chuck B, I hope everyone who reads through the comments gets to your perfect response

38. Not all Muslims are terrorist. But all terrorists are muslim

39. I’m Greek Orthodox and Fat, I was bullied most of my life cause of my size, I never once ever thought of getting in my truck and mow down a bunch of innocent people I did not know.

40. The grill mount paintball gun has been perfected to a high “kill ratio” for the next diesel dolt head that decides to “roll coal” on my ass.

41. I’m glad I left OSU grad school. The sheer amount of bigotry is disgusting. Go ahead and squander your college education by deploying your logically impoverished arguments. I’ll go smoke a blunt with people whose frontal lobes can afford to be temporarily compromised. Peace.

42. As an alumni to tOSU I want to know how this despicable human being is in charge of the scholarship program:

“DO NOT SHARE THIS POST

Abdul Razak Ali Arton was a BUCKEYE, a member of our family. If you think it is okay to celebrate his death and/or share a photo of his dead body and I see it in my timeline I will unfriend you. I pray you find compassion for his life, as troubled as it clearly was. Think of the pain he must have been in to feel his actions were the only solution. We must come together in this time of tragedy. #Buckeyestrong #blacklivesmatter #sayhisname

DO NOT SHARE THIS POST

– Stephanie Clemons Thompson”

http://tinypic.com/r/122ln9j/9

What the hell is going on at tOSU that these types are in admin positions? Remove her immediately.

43. Bunch of real winners in these comments here. You people should be ashamed to be human, let alone Americans.

44. Bend over and Face Mecca

The terrorist looks 30. Looks like he lied about his ago, too.

45. The amount of hate in this thread is disgusting. This country becomes more divided by the minute, and I’m ashamed of it.

• Diana, you have only your own leaders to blame for the feelings of many of your fellow Americans towards Muslims.
      For far too long people expressing legitimate doubts and concerns have been shouted down and screamed at as “RACIST!” and “FASCIST!” whilst your self supporting and near incestuous Political Establishment Elite have ignored their concerns, as indeed have the Political Elites over here in Europe.

Despite what others are saying on this thread, there is sufficient material within the Koran and it’s annexes to justify violence against non-believers. Our Political Leaders, on both sides of the Atlantic, have ignored this and the concerns of our peoples for far too long.

46. “I’m Muslim, it’s not what the media portrays me to be” – Artan

You got that right. The media says you are all peaceful. The religion of peace they say.

47. Time for knife control legislation!

48. I am a Muslim and totally disagree with any terrorism thoughts or behaviors of those people. Quran doesn’t preach violence either and only few scripts, that have been wrongly linked to the prophet long ago, teach violence. And many Muslims reject them and I am one of them.
    I feel bad for everyone. not only for the victims but for that young fool boy who felt a victim of evil thoughts and became too ignorant to think this behavior will get him closer to god.
    Looking at most of the comments here, it is disgusting to see supposedly civilized people stereotyping and generalizing and cursing Muslims as if I am responsible for what he did!

• “Quran doesn’t preach violence either and only few scripts, that have been wrongly linked to the prophet long ago, teach violence”

Sorry Mos, but there are a sufficient number of Islamist scholars, based not only in the Middle East, but World Wide, who will not only disagree with you, but who would consider your words blasphemous and call for your execution.
      I do not blame you, or your co-religionists, for the actions of one man, but, sadly, I must blame the book that serves as the keystone of that religion.

• Mos head —>Need one quote one of the many verses that would tell you that you are not truly following your faith. I would call you a non-believer and not a Muslim.

49. What does it say about a religion
    If it forces you to pray
    Five times a day

50. Radical Islamic terrorism does not exist! It is NOT A religion, It is NOT Islam! This scenario is no different than cribs or bloods claiming their gangs values are built off any chosen religion!

51. No surprise this Extremeist Jihad Muslim Terrorist is now crying like a big baby.No surprise that he is Muslim either.

52. To most of these replies…….. wow.

53. No, but this guy on Monday did stab 11 people- well either stabbed or ran them over with his car but you get the point. Horrible things happen every day all around the world and in the US that is not justification for another person to commit 11 acts of attempted murder. Furthermore, he killed 11 random people these weren’t people doing wrong doing to him, they might not of even known who is was. So even though you say you’re not justifying his actions.. You are doing just that. I agree violence is a learned behavior but what you’re not willing to conclude yet is that if what you say is true and immigrants from certain countries are, as you described, a ticking time bomb. Then the solution is to not let me in the country, that’s not racist nor bigotry that’s self-preservation. See what you missed while doing all your trivial research which I do mean is trivial, go research another third world country and ta-da more heinous crimes do you think it mitigates their actions once they are here? No it doesn’t. What you missed is that the bottom line is either they come here and don’t cause crime especially heinous crimes or they don’t come at all. So the more you argue Somalia is a hellhole and disease infested the less Americans want them in the country. Also, it seems like Ohio State was not as bad as Somalia and yet he still treated those innocent people with no remorse. Perhaps remorse is something that is taught at a young age and you seem to think we already don’t have enough of it in this country so the logical step in your thought process would be to not add more fuel to the fire.

54. Typical Islam follower. Islam is ideology of stupidity. Of fear, of uneducated ignorant people who abuse others. Who wants to change the world according to their perspective. Equality of skin color, that is value which must be protected. But equality of religions? No way. Societies should consider what is what. If in front of us stays religion where women are obliged to be covered in some dirty fabric, where they can not leave the religion, pick something else without facing some threat, that is not religion equals to others. Does not deserve the same rights. If we see people are killing in the name of Islam around the globe, we should call it using right name. Islam is a problem. Does not matter if we see billions of followers. It does not speak anything about quality of that religion. It says just how aggressive it can spread. Muslims are first victims of Islam. Time to help them to ditch it. Time to help us.

55. I do not pretend to know Islam, but I can say definitively that no other religion in the world produces the results of prayer that Muslims seem to get. When I pray, and I do, often, the last thing on my mind…no strike that….the ONE THING always missing when my prayer is finished is: “Ahhhh, now is a good time to go commit mass murder !”. So, as I said, I do not pretend to know Islam intimately, but something is acutely wrong, with Imans, Muslims and Islam if murder of innocent people is the result of following this way of life. Muslims need to check themselves if this is what they are getting from the text of the Koran and the words of it’s preachers.

56. According to the people at http://talkingpointsmemo.com this is all because of
    Trump and the gun people. Is this really how dense or brain washed the people in
    America have become? How can people not blame the shooter? There is a pattern
    here. Do people still not understand the Moslem faith? There are dozens upon
    dozens of references to killing and torturing non-believers in the Quran.

According to the Moslem religion those who do not kill and make non believers
    suffer are week and do not follow the Moslem faith in it’s entirety. The only way
    a non-believer is allowed to live is it be a obedient servant for life.
    Search the scriptures people! That is not a religion it is a cult!

People can sugar coat the message all they want and make up their own meanings for
    what the is said to mean when saying torture, kill, make them suffer even when it is said
    many times. Wake up people torture, kill, and make them suffer means just that torture,
    kill, and make them suffer. Not in you mind or pretend, this is the real world.

57. If people look at me, a Muslim praying, I don’t know what they’re going to think, what’s going to happen, but I don’t blame them,” he said.—> I would say I am thinking you are praying that Allah give you strength and help you kill as many people as you can….Am I wrong?

58. “I’m Muslim, but I’m not what the media portrays me to be”. So, despite recognizing that his actions will reflect extremely poorly on his entire community, he chooses to go on an anti-USA rant then run over and stab innocent people. Putting aside entirely the controversial immigration debate, can I just say, WHAT A COLOSSAL A-HOLE.

59. If only you guys would’ve given him his special muslim only prayer room! You basically forced him to stab those kids, just like girls in slim fitting clothes basically force Muslims to rape them. This is how it works guys.

60. he’s such an aquatard

61. Asatru is a religion of peace! So what if it commands us to fight, to give our enemies no peace whatsoever, and to die in battle (or we will not go to Valhalla but hell – in short, we must seek conflicts with you so that we may have battles to be martyred in, it’s our religious duty – try being more tolerant!).
    So what if it teaches that paradise is a place where we enjoy ourselves by killing each other every day, only to be resurrected, and later feast and drink all night.. only to repeat this the next day and the next day and the next day etc?

Why are you so intolerant of our faith of love and peace and what it tells us to do (to you)? We only want to excercise our religion..? Ah, the injustice! The oppression! The racism!

Now, would the above be completely ridiculous or would you fall for it? So why are western nations allowing muslims, who have just as violence-glorifying a religion, to basically feed us the very same crap? Theirs is a religion of conquest, violence and war. It’s simple fact.

Non-violent muslims are basically non-practicing muslims: Muslims who don’t actually follow their religious obligations. Ie they’re really non-muslims.

62. Go out and enlist and really do something about this. Yeah. Do it instead of hiding behind your keyboards.

63. What a coinkidink! Not pre-packaged, at ALL. 🙂