Home » Campus » ISIS claims Ohio State attack

ISIS claims Ohio State attack

A Columbus Police officer stands with a University Police Officer outside of the police cordon in from of the CBEC Building and Koffolt Lab, where the suspect's body lies dead after an attack on OSU's campus on Nov. 28. Credit: Mason Swires | Assistant Photo Editor

A Columbus Police officer stands with a University Police Officer outside of the police cordon in from of the CBEC Building and Koffolt Lab, where the suspect’s body lies dead after an attack on OSU’s campus on Nov. 28. Credit: Mason Swires | Assistant Photo Editor

Islamic State has claimed the attack on Ohio State’s campus that occurred Monday morning, according to a translation of a post from its Amaq News Agency.

Jenan Moussa, a journalist for Arabic Al Aan TV who covers the Middle East, posted the translation in a tweet on Tuesday afternoon.

That Islamic State claimed the attack doesn’t mean that the attacker, Abdul Razak Ali Artan, had any communication or connection to the terrorist group. The group has often claimed attacks after they’ve happened, based on people who acted alone or in the name of Islamic State. Police have not yet declared Artan’s motive.

Artan, a third-year in logistics management, sent 11 people to the hospital after attacking them on campus with his car and a knife before being killed by University Police officer, Alan Horujko.

The terrorist organization says Artan was a “soldier of the Islamic State” according to a tweet by Moussa.  

1. Islam is pure filth, Send it back to Somalia where it operated as a destroyer. Don’t appease Islam by giving it aid and comfort. The govt is committing treason by letting Islam into the USA.

• You are part of the reason this country is making no progress. Islam is a religion of peace that punishes those who act out in this way. A small percent are radical, in a similar way to the Christian crusades or Spanish Inquisition, where christians slaughtered many non believers. Every group has its radical members that are purely evil, it doesn’t mean they as a whole are the same. Please educate yourself before posting such awful remarks.

• Check your sources

Just a question to you. Perhaps I do need educated. Exactly how do the Muslims of peace punish the Radical Muslims that act out in this way? What kind of punishments are inflicted on the Radical Muslims by other Muslims that kill innocent women and children in terror and bombing attacks? In America we would punish those Radical Muslims, based on our laws. But how do Muslims punish those Radical Muslims. I did look up and from what I read the most serious crimes considered under Sharia Law is for adultery, drinking wine, theft, and highway robbery. I did not see anything for punishment of terrorism. Isn’t those Muslims that act out in terrorism acts considered Martyrs by Muslims?

2. I think you mean “propaganda machine”, not “news agency”. Certainly we are all dismayed & horrified by Artan’s actions. However, it may be due to an undiagnosed mental illness rather than terrorism. Too early to tell.