Home » Campus » Live updates: Knifing suspect killed on North Campus

Live updates: Knifing suspect killed on North Campus

A police officer and two other emergency personnel stand near a body lying near the Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering Chemistry building on North Campus. Credit: Mason Swires | Assistant Photo Editor

Update 1:23 pm: During a press conference, Ohio State police chief Craig Stone said that at 9:52 a.m., the suspect drove onto the sidewalk on 19th Avenue and struck pedestrians. Afterwards, the man exited his vehicle with a butcher’s knife and began attacking people. An officer arrived at the scene and engaged the subject and ended the threat.

Stone said there were nine people injured, with eight in stable condition and one in critical condition. All injuries are believed to be non life-threatening, and the rumors of a second suspect proved to be untrue. Two individuals removed from the Lane Avenue garage are no longer suspects.

Update  1:11 pm: Students who were in Smith Lab at the time of the incident.

Michael Cloonan, second year in welding engineering.

“We were going over an example problem and we heard four gunshots. We hid in those two corners. People at the window saw man laying on the ground. We went upstairs to lab upstairs and locked the door. Police responded very quickly. Immediately. 20 seconds. Maybe less. Really quick.”

Ben Novotny, second year. welding engineering.

“Sounded like discomfort outside and within a couple seconds, gunshots. We heard screaming from outside. Screaming and then what sounded like gunshots. We stayed [in class] for 10 minutes. Then we got alerts about active shooter and our TA suggested we go upstairs. We stayed there until the all clear.”

UPDATE 12:31: During the incident this morning, Jerry Kovacich, a third-year in welding engineering, witnessed a man in a motor vehicle try to drive into a crowd after a fire alarm went off. After the car crashed, the man then attacked bystanders with a knife.

“I didn’t see anything with the shooter, what happened was it was outside of MacQuigg Lab,” Kovacich said. “The guy ended up just coming and hopping the curb with his car and trying to mow down a couple people. He lost control, and I think he ended up hitting three people, and then people were around the car. Somebody asked him if he was OK and the guy just hopped out of the car with a butcher knife and starting chasing people around.”

A statement from Ohio State said that injuries sustained Monday morning include “stab wounds, injury by motor vehicle and other injuries that are being evaluated.”

A press conference is to be held Monday afternoon, OSU officials have not yet set a time.

UPDATE 12:17: A source with the Columbus Division of Police told The Lantern one of the suspects in the shooting is dead.

UPDATE 12:13: Columbus Police officer and Franklin County Sheriff’s Department officer said the scene is still active. There is a search being conducted car-by-car, floor-by-floor in Lane Avenue garage.

Additionally, despite the Shelter in Place warning officially be lifted by the university, some buildings, such as Houston House, are still on lockdown.

UPDATE 11:55: Sean Cody, 23, a nursing assistant, spoke to the media around 11:40 after the Shelter in Place warning was lifted. Cody was in lockdown in Ramseyer Hall on North Campus. Describing the events, Cody said he saw a large cloud of dust, which he thought was an explosion of sorts, and multiple gunshots near Watts Hall before entered Ramseyer, just before 10 a.m.

“I hear a bang, I look this way, I see a big gray cloud, and then people shouting, and then people running all directions,” said Cody, who, before hearing the gunshots, said he assumed the bang was related to construction.

UPDATE 11:10: Police officer on the scene near the Lane Avenue parking garage said the remaining shooter is believed to be inside the garage.

UPDATE 11:00 a.m.: Rebecca Diehm, a Columbus Division of Fire spokeswoman, told The Lantern eight people were transported to the hospital. One is in critical condition; the other seven are reported in stable condition.

An active-shooter situation occurred on campus on Monday, according to a Buckeye Alert sent around 10 a.m.

The Buckeye Alert advised those on campus to shelter in place and avoid the area near College Road. It also said more information would follow.  

At least a dozen police cars and other emergency responders were at the corner of West 19th Avenue and College Road. Yellow caution tape was strung on the perimeter of the scene, extending as far east as Ramseyer Hall and south nearby to the Arps Garage.

This story will continue to be updated throughout the day as more information becomes available.

1. soooo….. muslim style attack?

2. Christopher Kelley

“Active Shooter”?? Are knife attacks being reported as gun attacks, now? Because if so, is there going to be a requisite call to ban all butcher knives, like there are for guns whenever guns are used by evil people to initiate violence?

• Officials probably didn’t understand a police officer responded in less than a minute as he did discharge his weapon. They assumed it was a shooter and reported active shooting status to keep students safe.

3. No shooter: a driver and a knifer. So disappointing to the gun-banners.

4. Suck it Up Little, Butter Cups!!

This is what you liberal cry babies ask for when you allow anyone and every one to get into our country. For all you guys not wanting Trump, with your cry rooms, crayons, and psychologist coping mechanisms because you didn’t get your way when Trump beat Hillary…….
    Soo sad, but there are consequences to ones actions, nothing your mommie and daddie didn’t teach you… well here you go, WELCOME to the real world!!
    Its time to man up, become a responsible adult and quit sucking on your parents tit….

This is a perfect example of what the people fear in the REAl world unlike you pampered little cry babies occupying our nations campuses and wasting our tax dollars.

5. This is another tragic senseless death. Prayers to the families involved.

6. Kevin S., the below passage came from the 8/25/16 Lantern. Could this be the same guy?

Thursday, August 25, 2016 | The Lantern | 5
    HUMANS OF OHIO STATE
    KEVIN STANKIEWICZ | OLLER REPORTER
    “I just transferred from Columbus State. We had prayer rooms, like actual rooms where we could go to pray because we Muslims have to pray five times a day. There’s Fajr, which is early in the morning, at dawn. Then Zuhr during the daytime, then Asr in the evening, like right about now. And then Maghrib, which is like right at sunset and then Isha at night. I wanted to pray Asr. I mean, I’m new here. This is my first day. This place is huge, and I don’t even know where to pray. I wanted to pray in the open, but I was kind of scared with everything going on in the media. I’m a Muslim, it’s not what the media portrays me to be. If people look at me, a Muslim praying, I don’t know what they’re going to think, what’s going to happen. But, I don’t blame them. It’s the media that put that picture in their heads so they’re just going to have it and it, it’s going to make them feel uncomfortable. I was kind of scared right now. But I just did it. I relied on God. I went over to the corner and just prayed.” Abdul Razak Artan, Third-year in logistics management

7. SO – -If We had “Honest Journalism” they would tell you the perpetrator was [White ; Black; Muslim; Green; Blue ; Red -] What we really read is – -“Active Shooter”?? Are knife attacks being reported as gun attacks, now? Because if so, is there going to be a requisite call to ban all butcher knives, like there are for guns whenever guns are used by evil people to initiate violence?

8. Who do you have to blow to get some attention around here?