Donald Trump speaks after the final Presidential debate in Delaware, Ohio on Oct. 20. Credit: Alexa Mavrogianis | Photo Editor

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump is projected to take Ohio and its 18 electoral votes, NBC declared at 10:21 p.m.

According to the Ohio Secretary of State’s office, The GOP nominee took the battleground state with 53.3 percent of the vote at the time the race was declared over, compared to Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton’s 42.3 percent.

Republicans have yet to win the nation without winning Ohio. The last time a Democrat won the presidency without Ohio was in 1960, when John F. Kennedy was elected president.

Trump’s win in Ohio follows victories in Texas, Arkansas and Oklahoma, among others, for a total of 167 Electoral College votes as of the time Ohio was called. Clinton has won Vermont, New York and Illinois, among others, for a total of 109 electoral votes so far.

Topics such as the economy and immigration were cited by supporters as key factors for Trump’s victory in the Buckeye State. While Trump has received critique for his racially charged comments regarding Mexicans or the infamous “grab ‘em by the pussy,” Steven Speck, a second-year student in agribusiness and applied economics and a self-proclaimed Trump supporter, said he looked past Trump’s controversial comments and focused on his economic policies.

“You listen to Trump and he may not be the most kosher of a person … He’s done some things in his personal life that are things you don’t agree with, condone or support,” Speck said. “So you feel out their personal lives, both of them, and then you look at their policies. When it comes to the economy, Trump’s policies, like lowering taxes, is good for business.”

Members of Ohio State’s chapter of Students for Trump were excited to hear the GOP nominee had won Ohio, although the national race has yet to be called.

“I’m very proud of everything Students for Trump was able to accomplish this semester to deliver Ohio for Mr. Trump and Make America Great Again,” said Nick Davis, a second-year in natural resource management and president of Students for Trump, in a statement.

A general member expressed some hesitation about the turnout of the race nationally.

“I think that it will be disappointing if Trump wins Ohio but loses the nation. Candidates that win Ohio usually win the nation,” said Adam Smolka, a first-year in accounting.

Mitch Hooper and Abby Vesoulis contributed to this article.