Kappa Kappa Gamma is returning to Ohio State after more than two years of suspension following a hazing incident in April 2015, and despite other campus sororities voting against reinstating the Beta Nu chapter less than a month ago.

The OSU Office of Student Life decided to reinstate KKG on Wednesday following the expiration of the chapter’s suspension on May 7 and the completion of student conduct code sanctions.

In April, a majority of representatives from OSU’s Panhellenic Association-governed sororities voted not to reinstate KKG in the spring semester of 2018 — nine against, seven for reinstatement. However, the decision for reinstatement was reserved for student life because the sorority’s chapter was not suspended by PHA, but by OSU student life.

KKG headquarters sent a press release which read “all sanctions from Ohio State’s Student conduct office are complete as assessed, and Ohio State’s administration has determined Kappa may return to campus. Additionally, Fraternity Council has voted to remove Beta Nu Chapter from suspension, allowing the chapter to be re-established next calendar year.”

With the reinstatement of KKG to OSU, PHA can now expand on campus, according to a recolonization agreement made following the suspension of the chapter in 2015.

Dave Isaacs, communications and media relations manager for student life, said that administration planned to discuss KKG’s renewed presence on campus when the chapter’s suspension had concluded, regardless of PHA’s vote.

Isaacs elaborated by saying that the administration was comfortable with offering reinstatement after receiving a detailed plan of return to campus.

“They have submitted their plans in how they would handle their return to campus should they choose to do so,” Isaacs said.

It remains unclear if PHA believed it had jurisdiction in determining whether or not Kappa could return to OSU.

The Lantern extended an opportunity for comment to campus PHA president Lindsey Turoff, but the request was not fulfilled prior to publication.

The Lantern also sent a request to KKG for its specific plans for a return to campus.

KKG’s national headquarters sent a press release which read “all sanctions from Ohio State’s Student conduct office are complete as assessed, and Ohio State’s administration has determined Kappa may return to campus. Additionally, Fraternity Council has voted to remove Beta Nu Chapter from suspension, allowing the chapter to be re-established next calendar year.”

With the reinstatement of Kappa to OSU, PHA can now expand on campus, according to a recolonization agreement made following the suspension of the chapter in 2015.

Kate Butler, associate director of sorority and fraternity life at OSU, did not return a request for comment at the time of publication.

Update, 9:12 p.m.: This article was updated with comment from Dave Isaacs and information from a press release sent out by the national KKG headquarters.