“Bigger, Better, Friendlier” is the motto for the Marion campus of Ohio State. For the past year the Marion Campus has been coming up with a master plan for the campus area, according to Don Lair, director of Finance and Facilities.

The Marion campus plans to add additional buildings, parking areas and athletic fields. There will be a complete renovation of Morrill Hall, a building that now houses the majority of classes, along with the expansion of the prairie and outdoor teaching facilities.

The Marion campus also plans on constructing student services and student housing facilities. “We hope to break ground for these facilities in 2003,” Lair said.

There will also be a new bookstore annex, which will include a coffee shop, along with the construction of a new childcare facility and a new Science-Technology Building.

“We know it’s going to be slow going,” said Lair. “We still have to wait for state funding. This is a $20 to $40 million project.”

Not only will this plan bring new buildings it will also offer students a larger selection of majors.

“Along with good English and Psychology programs, we are phasing in a Business program,” Lair said.

Other four-year programs will also be added later on.

“The community is very supportive,” Lair said. “This will bring more to Marion.”

The community will benefit from the university’s expansion and growth economically.

Lair also said that students can receive a more traditional college experience due to student housing but still can remain close to home and have the luxury of living in a small community.