Even though he’s starred in numerous acclaimed dramatic films, Jeff Daniels will always be known for “Dumb and Dumber” — whether he likes it or not.

It seems Daniels has embraced his comedic persona in the other aspects of his work, especially writing. One of his first plays, “Escanaba in da Moonlight,” is a beautiful combination of slapstick gags and slightly off-beat wit. Daniels’ writing style seems targeted for those who typically don’t attend plays.

Perhaps this is why the Contemporary American Theatre Company chose the Daniels’ play as the hump of their 2002-2003 season.

The play, set the day before hunting season, officially opens with the Soady family preparing for their first day of hunting in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan — each man is hoping to bag the biggest buck possible. The only problem is 35-year-old Reuben, who will be the oldest member of the family yet to shoot a deer, if he doesn’t get one this season.

Michael Stewart Allen, last seen at CATCO in productions of “The Importance of Being Earnest,” “The Big Slam” and “The Grapes of Wrath,” plays the character with gusto, adding depth to the comedic character.

Allen’s Reuben attempts to break his hunting curse by using his wife’s Native American secrets, resulting in plenty of comedy. For example, Reuben’s relatives discover they not only drink moose parts never meant to be eaten, but they also cover themselves with porcupine urine.

Although Allen is the heart of the family, the funny bone goes to Damian Bowerman and John Fields, playing Reuben’s brother and father respectively.

As Remnar, Bowerman’s brotherly hostility transforms the play into a Marx Brothers comedy — full of fighting, but still with a bit of heart. Regular CATCO play attendees may recognize the actor from his earlier dramatic performance in “The Laramie Project”.

Trained as a Shakespearean actor, Fields’ Albert is a nice blend of Remnar and Reuben — plenty of comedy and plenty of emotion.

Stealing the show, however, is Mark Mann, who plays the slurring Jimmer — a hunter with a few loose screws after being abducted by aliens. Jimmer’s claim to fame is not the alien-abduction or his love of moose-part milkshakes — it’s the never-ending stream of gas he emits during sleep. In scenes straight from a Farrelly Brothers’ film, Jimmer’s talent is put to the test during the film’s comedic climax. If anyone in the theater wasn’t laughing throughout this scene, they must have been asleep.

Like all CATCO productions, the rest of the play is simple in look, with a few spotlights and sound effects thrown onto a basic stage, but the lack of dramatics actually benefits the show. The play rests on the writing, not on effects, and in that sense, the play succeeds.

The set design does leave a little to be desired. Unlike previous shows, the background is somewhat cluttered, with cabin walls covered in posters, lanterns and guns. Set designer Stephanie Gerckens’ style is apparent through the props though, especially an old car bench seat with duct tape holding together the hole in the middle.

Although it’s not the best performance CATCO has offered this season, “Escanaba in da Moonlight” isn’t far off with its laugh-inducing humor and grounded style.