The Factory may not be the best place to hold a concert — the music can get drowned out by the rest of the club.

Between the disco beats from the huge dance room, the house hip-hop vibe from a smaller casual room and the sounds of loud guitars and drums from the lounge where the bands performed, The Factory is a mix of music, which can be heard throughout the club due to the paper thin walls.

Regardless of the sound quality of The Factory, The Sun definitely had a great show for its CD release party.

The $8 venue for the lounge in The Factory Saturday night read: The Tallboys, Tough and Lovely and The Sun. While The Tallboys were not there, Tough and Lovely came on around 10 and showed an impressive sound with raspy female vocals and loud guitars and bass. The Sun jumped on stage a little before midnight and played almost all the songs on its EP, “Love and Death,” with a lot of new unreleased material.

The band, born and raised right here in good old Columbus, signed to Warner Bros. records and have just put out this new album. The enhanced EP contains six tracks of fast, loud and melodic rock music and also a brief DVD movie outtake.

For its release show, the band rocked out with songs like “Fell so hard” and “Summer of ’72,” using fast, hard power cords with stop-start interludes. The Sun also showed it has a laidback and softer groove when using a keyboard on “Rock Stop.” The Sun’s style is not really described as a specific genre — throw in a little punk, some blues and maybe a bit of alternative countryness — but its all hard rock and roll in the long run.

The Sun has a great deal of potential and is bringing Columbus into the light as a great city for up-and-coming rock bands. Lead singer Chris Burney said he had to choose between seeing local bands 84 Nash or The Means Thursday night and had trouble selecting between the two. He said other cities don’t have what Columbus does when it comes down to good bands.

The band put on a thoroughly impressive set and the crowd really seemed to enjoy The Sun’s performance. In a city where there is not a lot to do but go to a bar and listen to music, Columbus has its perks when it comes to local rock music.

There are a slew of bands in the city that slap the word ‘the’ in front of their names and think they are rock ‘n’ roll, but The Sun actually pulls it off. If the band was a little bit more rich and famous, Sun members probably would have smashed guitars and threw mike stands. While the members may not be rock stars yet, they could be on their way.