America Online launched AOL Latino on Wednesday, a new online service entirely in Spanish.

AOL Latino is designed to offer the same features and benefits as the English version but is directed toward the Spanish-speaking population.

The cost is $23.90 a month for unlimited usage. This will allow the AOL member to use either the English or the Spanish version. The new AOL 9.0 Optimized Software is the English version that AOL Latino adds onto.

David Wellisch, vice president and general manager of AOL Latino, said in a statement Wednesday, “AOL Latino is an exciting and unique product for the U.S. Hispanic consumer. It brings the power of the Internet to the home and the choice to have it in Spanish or English or both, while guaranteeing a safe online experience for the entire family.”

In June comScore Media Metrix found AOL to be the No. 1 Internet service provider for Hispanics in the United States. Wellisch said he wants this new service to expand on the connection AOL has with the Hispanic culture.

“We designed AOL Latino to offer compelling Spanish content in programming areas like news, sports, entertainment, music and lifestyle with an easy connection to the general English language service,” Wellisch said.

“Today’s launch signals our continuing effort to reach the exploding market of U.S. Hispanics online and reflects just phase one of a new effort to serve that community,” he said.

Latin American newspapers, Hispanic athlete and international sports coverage, People en Espanol, unreleased Latin music and homework help tutors are some of the special new offerings.

Nieves Pujalte, an international graduate student from Spain, who is teaching Spanish at Ohio State, said she would be excited to read the Latin American newspapers that she cannot normally find.

“I don’t read Spanish newspapers here, so when I return to Spain I feel lost,” Pujalte said. “When I go there I don’t know what is going on.”

Other new Spanish features for general online use include a welcome screen with audio in Spanish, Spanish installation, registration and setup procedures. There is also spell check for e-mails and instant messages written in Spanish, AOL mail and Toolbars and new Super Buddy icons that recognize Spanish words.

Pujalte said the service will be useful for many people. She estimated she would use it at least five days a week. The program would save her time as she would not have to format her computer to add accents each time she types.

“It is a very good idea, especially if someone is an instructor like me,” Pujalte said. “I could use it to get resources for my students. Some of my students are really interested in learning Spanish, so this would be a good idea for them also.”

Although she said it would be useful, Pujalte also said it would make it easier for Hispanics to avoid learning to speak English.

“The United States is bilingual. Go to Blockbuster and everything is in Spanish and English because the Hispanic population is getting bigger,” Pujalte said.

For Pujalte, this service may be useful, but English-speaking students taking Spanish classes may not be inclined to use this service.

“I don’t think I would use it because I can find all those resources in English, and I’m not a very fluent Spanish speaker,” said Tiffany Goodin, a senior in Art who is taking Spanish 104. “I think this will attract more the native speakers and bilingual people.”