One in three women will have an abortion in their lifetime, according to an independent film screened by Voices for Planned Parenthood Wednesday night.

“The Abortion Diaries,” presented by VOX to an audience of nearly 50 men and women, is used to bring to light the personal side of a taboo subject, said Lauryn Shipp, president of VOX and a senior in English and women’s studies.

“One of the issues that we think is rarely discussed is women’s abortion stories,” Shipp said. “There’s this vast debate and there are men in suits in Washington passing all this legislation and we never hear about women who have actually had abortions, who actually had to make that decision.”

The documentary, directed and produced by Penny Lane, tells the stories of 12 women from various races and backgrounds who had abortions and speak candidly about their experiences. It introduces personal aspects of the decision to have an abortion, motherhood, reproductive rights and the stigma surrounding women who have abortions. The film also includes the filmmaker’s personal diary entries and abortion statistic rates.

Kaleigh Watson, a freshman in early childhood education, said she came to the screening as extra credit for a women’s studies course.

“I’m mixed on the topic but I thought it was interesting,” Watson said.

Before the film began, Dr. Lisa Keder of the department of obstetrics and gynecology spoke about her experience as a physician who has performed abortions.

Keder said it is important to expand the availability of physicians willing to perform abortions. She said it is an uphill battle to find people who are not necessarily pro-choice, but who are willing to risk ostracism for performing abortions.

“I go past picketers on a weekly basis usually,” Keder said. She also said she has never been physically threatened. Despite the stigma, Keder said the practice is rewarding because of the intense relationship between the doctor and patient.

“Directly taking care of patients with unplanned pregnancies is one of the most satisfying things I do,” she said.

“The Abortion Diaries” is one of several films screened by VOX this year. According to its Web site, the organization exists to educate the university community about reproductive health and rights. The OSU chapter was founded in 2002 and holds regular meetings and panel discussions each quarter.