As I set foot onto the hallowed grounds of Ohio Stadium four years ago, I had no idea what I was in for, both in my fan experience and in my life.

Wandering over to my seat for that game against Texas Tech, it took me only a few moments to realize that I was in a whole new and glorious world; I was in the process of leaving behind the comforts of high school, home and friends and moving on to the brand new world of college. Little did I know that on that sweltering August afternoon I was heading into my first of many amazing experiences in college.

I would never attempt to shortchange my academic experience at this institution, but for me, to speak of my four years at Ohio State and not bring up countless sporting events would be to neglect the source of so much of my joy and passion.

Considering the class of 2006’s first year on campus just happened to involve a Buckeye national title in football is no coincidence. As a matter of fact, I am fairly certain our class can take full credit for that (though I suppose the great players from that team can take a little as well). However, the crazy thing is that the Fiesta Bowl victory – one of three during my four years here – was just one of an enormous amount of fantastic athletic achievements by our Buckeyes I have either witnessed, read about or been a part of.

There have been 18 conference titles won by OSU teams since I came to Columbus. Our football team had two titles to go along with the aforementioned national title, the astounding four bowl victories and three pairs of golden pants for the utter domination of that school up north.

Synchronized swimming, possibly the most under-the-radar team at our school, picked up two national titles, as did the women’s pistol team. Just because the sport is not on television does not mean that OSU athletes are not dominating the competition. Fencing’s 2004 national title proves that theory.

There were also heart stopping tournament runs. The underdog women’s soccer Buckeyes came from out of nowhere to take the 2002 Big Ten tourney title, the first of two titles they would pick up in my four years.

OSU baseball would also take two Big Ten Tournament titles, one of which turned out to be the springboard for Bill Davis Stadium serving as the host of a 2003 Super Regional. After an average regular season, the Buckeyes ended the year just two games away from the College World Series and playing in front of enough Buckeye fans to make it feel like a home football game. I was lucky enough to be a part of that team and, let me tell you, I still get goosebumps thinking back to that experience.

Speaking of tournament runs, the OSU hockey team’s 2004 run through the Central Collegiate Hockey Association and to the Mason Cup was one for the ages.

One cannot forget Kevin Hall’s absolute destruction of the rest of the Big Ten in the 2004 Big Ten Golf Championships. Ever want proof that being deaf is not a handicap? Just watch Mr. Hall play a few rounds of golf. Quite impressive.

This year’s men’s tennis team finally stopping Illinois’ dominance over the Big Ten was one for the books. Bragging rights also go to Ross Wilson and Scott Green for winning three doubles national titles, the consistently impressive national performances by the women’s rowing team and Stacey Gordon and the women’s volleyball team for having some of their best seasons in school history.

Tommy Rowlands, Steve Caravati, Craig Krenzel, Mike Doss, Jessica Davenport, Terrence Dials, Jason Rogers: these people are OSU legends.

I have no doubt I am forgetting great events and names that I have seen or heard about, but when you go to a school with athletes like ours, there are almost too many to count.

Four years.

Walking down Lane Avenue Aug. 24, 2002, four years might as well have been two decades. Now that it is over, I cannot believe how fast it has gone. In that time I have learned from some of the best professors in the country. I have received a top-notch education. I have made friends I now call brothers and have been to some of the craziest parties I could ever imagine. But when I think back on my experience at this school, I can not help but see Buckeye athletics as one of the most integral factors of how amazing my four years have been at THE Ohio State University.

Phil Mattingly is a senior in English. He is a Buckeye for life. He can be contacted at [email protected].