Chris Watt, the nation’s No. 1 offensive guard prospect according to scout.com, had an offer on the table from Ohio State. The Buckeyes had two spots remaining for linemen, one reserved for five-star Marcus Hall and the second for either Watt or a less-heralded prospect with a long frame.

A three-star to Watt’s five, Ohio State commit Sam Longo plugged the small hole in the recruiting class with his massive build.

At 6-foot-6 and 280 pounds, Longo’s length translates to either tackle position on the outside of the line. The nation’s 26th-ranked tackle according to rivals.com, Longo assumes he’ll be a surprise. The Web site deemed him its sleeper of the 25-man class, a prediction that would make many forget about Watt’s signing with Notre Dame if it pans out.

Sam LongoSam Longo
His official offer came late in the signing period. After 17 had already signed, Longo couldn’t afford to hesitate, and he didn’t.

“When they had Longo they were pretty much done, except for waiting on Hall to commit,” said Steve Helwagen, managing editor of Bucknuts Media Network. “It did come down to Longo and another player who ended up going elsewhere, for that spot. He jumped at it and was able to commit and got the spot.”

The son of a former OSU linebacker, it was the opportunity Longo had been waiting for – one he knew he’d regret if it dissolved, he said in an interview with buckeyesports.com.

A graduate of Bellbrook High School, the school that produced junior linebacker Austin Spitler, Longo, and a trio of incoming linemen, will look to offset the departures of starters Alex Boone, Steve Rehring and Ben Person.

“It was important to replenish that depth and I think that they were able to do that in this class,” Helwagen said. “He was an important part of that, certainly. He projects as a tackle but could also play guard if he had to. He’s a versatile guy.”

Taking over as the starting center following the USC defeat, Michael Brewster was the lone true-freshman to see significant playing time in 2008. Barring injury, such an opportunity is not expected to arise for Longo as a freshman.

“They’re not going to be counting on him right away for a starting job,” Helwagen said. “Within a year or two he can get into the rotation.”

James Pallitto can be reached at [email protected].