Ohio State’s Kyle Snyder waves to the crowd after competing in the dual-meet against Iowa on Jan. 21 in the Schottenstein Center. Credit: Jack Westerheide | Photo Editor

The No. 2 Ohio State wrestling team (10-0, 5-0 Big Ten) beat No. 3 Iowa (9-1, 4-1 Big Ten) 22-12 in the final home meet of the season Sunday at the Schottenstein Center.

Ohio State trailed 12-7 through the first six matches, but was able to win the final four contests to steal the victory.

This was the final home match for a trio of seniors — No. 1 Kyle Snyder, No. 3 Bo Jordan and No. 1 Nathan Tomasello — who are looking to become the first-ever triumvirate to be named four-time All-Americans in the same season.

Snyder dominated the first period against sophomore Steven Holloway, scoring seven takedowns in that period. He earned three more takedowns and a near fall in the second period, propelling him to a 24-9 win via technical fall. Snyder’s victory clinched a 22-12 Ohio State victory.

“[In] international competition, you don’t compete in front of tens of thousands of people, so this could be one of the few times I have left in my career to do that,” Snyder said.

Ohio State’s Kyle Snyder wrestles Sam Stoll in the dual-meet against Iowa on Jan. 21 in the Schottenstein Center. Credit: Jack Westerheide | Photo Editor

The Buckeyes got off to a rough start when Iowa freshman No. 6 Spencer Lee upset Tomasello, who was wrestling in the final home match of his career, 3-2 in the day’s first match. The first two periods were scoreless with Tomasello failing to escape from Lee in the second. Tomasello elected to start in neutral position in the third period, which Ohio State head coach Tom Ryan said, in hindsight, was the miscalculation that cost Tomasello the match.

Lee received a point for the escape. Tomasello scored one takedown following the escape, before Lee made it 2-2 with another escape point. Lee earned a bonus point for riding time, which sealed the upset.  

“It’s the difference between getting your hand raised or not. You gotta finish the shot,” Ryan said.

At 184 pounds, Ohio State junior Myles Martin jumped out to a quick lead against junior Mitchell Bowman, scoring a takedown and two four-point falls in the first period to go up 10-0. This cushion could not have come at a better time for Ohio State which entered the matchup trailing 12-10. Martin won 17-8 via majority decision to give the Buckeyes the 14-10 lead.

Ohio State’s Kollin Moore, the top-ranked 197-pounder in the country, scored a takedown against No. 5 Cash Wilcke in each of the first two periods to take a 4-3 lead entering the third. Moore won 6-3, putting the Buckeyes up 17-12 to all but sealed the victory for the Ohio State.

Iowa increased its lead in the middle of the first half, with No. 2 sophomore Brandon Sorensen defeating No. 6 redshirt sophomore Ke-Shawn Hayes 4-2. Sorensen separated himself after getting a third-period takedown to go up 4-2, preventing Hayes from escaping after the takedown.

Iowa No. 2 Michael Kermerer followed up Sorensen’s victory with a win of his own, beating No. 6 redshirt junior Micah Jordan 8-4. Kermerer held a 4-0 lead at the end of the second period. Jordan scored two takedowns, but it was not enough to catch Kermerer. Following the win, Iowa pushed its lead out to 9-7 at halftime.

Iowa No. 7 Alex Marinelli started off the second half against Ohio State No. 13 junior Te’Shan Campbell at 165-pound weight class. Marinelli used a defensive gameplan and riding time advantage to secure a 4-1 win.

Ohio State’s Luke Pletcher wrestles Paul Glynn in the dual-meet against Iowa on Jan. 21 in the Schottenstein Center. Credit: Jack Westerheide | Photo Editor

Buckeye No. 2 Luke Pletcher beat Paul Glynn at 133 pounds 7-2 with three takedowns. Ohio State No. 11 Joey McKenna was in control of his match against redshirt freshman Carter Happe at 141 pounds. McKenna scored five takedowns, a riding-time bonus point and one two-point near fall to win 13-2 via majority decision.

Bo began the second-half comeback with his matchup at 174 pounds against redshirt freshman Kaleb Young. Bo won the match 10-5 to get Ohio State back within reach of the Hawkeyes.

“Usually when I wrestled at the Schott was in high school, and usually everybody was rooting against me, so it was nice to have every fan here,” said Bo.

Ohio State’s next meet is at 7 p.m. Friday in East Lansing, Michigan, against Michigan State.