Offensive coordinator Ryan Day prior to the Ohio State- Oklahoma game on Sep. 9. Credit: Jack Westerheide | Photo Editor

In order to entice recently promoted offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Ryan Day to remain at Ohio State for the long term, the Buckeyes made him one of their first two assistant coaches to earn at least $1 million in a season. If he stays at the university for more than one season, he will earn progressively increasing raises the next three years, according to a signed terms of employment obtained by The Lantern.

Day will earn $200,000 if employed by Ohio State on Jan, 31, 2019, then will make $300,000 if he is on the coaching staff on Jan. 31, 2020. If he is still at Ohio State on Jan. 31, 2021, he will be paid $350,000. His base salary for 2018 is exactly $1 million.

Ohio State revealed two assistant coaches — Day and defensive coordinator Greg Schiano — will make at least $1 million next year in base salary Wednesday evening.

The university released signed terms of employment agreements of all 10 assistant coaches — Schiano, Day, offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson, defensive assistant Alex Grinch, offensive line coach Greg Studrawa, wide receiver coach Zach Smith, defensive line coach Larry Johnson, running backs coach Tony Alford, linebackers coach Bill Davis and cornerbacks coach Taver Johnson — in response to a public records request Thursday morning.

Grinch, Johnson, Alford and Johnson agreed to two-year contracts. Schiano, Wilson, Studrawa, Smith and Davis signed one-year contracts. Day is the only assistant coach to have a three-year contract.

Grinch does not have to pay anything to Ohio State if he leaves during his contract for another job. Wilson would have to pay $50,000 to the university if he leaves for a non-head coach job. If any other assistant coach leaves Ohio State for a non-head coach position, he must pay $100,000.

If the Buckeyes are successful on the field, each coach will earn substantial supplemental income.

Each assistant coach will be eligible to earn 8.5 percent raises to his base salary if the Buckeyes win the Big Ten East championship and he will make an additional 4.25 percent bonuses to his base salaries if the team wins the conference championship game.

All assistant coaches will earn 17 percent raises to their base salaries if Ohio State participates in a College Football Playoff game. If Ohio State plays in a College Football Playoff semifinal, each coach will receive a boost of 21.25 percent of his respective base salaries. If the Buckeyes win that game, each coach will instead receive a bonus of 25.5 percent of his base salaries.

If Ohio State makes a non-College Football Playoff bowl game and has at least nine wins, all assistant coaches will earn 4.25 percent bonuses to their respective base salaries.

All bonuses would have to be paid back by the coaches to the university if the respective achievements are vacated by Ohio State or the NCAA.

Schiano will receive nine Ohio State football season tickets and two men’s basketball season tickets. Every other assistant will receive six football season tickets and two men’s basketball tickets.

Ohio State pays each coach stipends of $600 per month, which is used to cover the costs of one car each.

The university released the signed term agreements for each of the 10 assistant football coaches Thursday morning in response to a public records request.