Students in other organizations help serve food at TASA’s 2017 Night Market. Credit: Courtesy of Sharon Yeh

Asian cuisine and culture will take over Hale Hall on Saturday in the form of a traditional Night Market.

The Taiwanese American Student Association and the East Asian Culture Club will be hosting the sixth annual Night Market, which is based on a cultural street food festival held in East Asian countries, such as Taiwan.

This year’s Night Market will feature 25 student organizations with 15 food booths, 10 game booths and six performances, similar to last year’s event which presented taekwondo performances and dances from other campus organizations.

Participating organizations include the Asian American Association, BAAM, which is an East-Asian interest a cappella group, and J2K, a modern Asian dance group.

Student organizations put on performances every year at the Night Market. Credit: Courtesy of Sharon Yeh

Sharon Yeh, a third-year in operations and logistics, described Night Market as a miniature Taste of OSU but more centered on Asian cuisine and culture. EACC plans on making Taiwanese spring rolls for its food booth for others to enjoy.

“Our goal is to share the Taiwanese culture, and Night Market is such an integral part of that,” Yeh said.

Last year’s Night Market hosted nearly 1,000 students and families. This year TASA and EACC are hoping for the same turnout.

Since TASA and EACC’s Night Market will be held during the day, the organizations have to come up with creative ways to make it seem like nighttime. The two boards will be doing more with decorations this year than in years’ past, including paper lanterns and banners.

Alex Pham, a fifth-year in health science who is originally from Southern California, described night markets in California as inspiration in helping create Ohio State’s own night market.

Proceeds from the Night Market will go to the Intercollegiate Taiwanese American Student Association. ITASA aims to serve the Taiwanese community by empowering students.

Almost 1,000 students and families came to last year’s Night Market. Credit: Courtesy of Sharon Yeh

Making sure each organization has enough food for hundreds of people is a priority for this year’s market. Last year, Pham said it ran out of food early into the night due to the unexpected amount of people.

In past years, Night Markets were held in Curl Market Viewpoint with one room for everyone. This year Hale Hall will host the event in three different rooms. One room is designated for performers, while the other two are for food and seating. Every room will have a livestream of the performances.

“I’m excited to get most of the Asian population [on campus] together just to have fun and enjoy food,” Pham said.

The Night Market will take place at 2 p.m. Saturday at Hale Hall. Admission and performances are free, but attendees are required to buy food tickets at the door.