Iuka Productions student group, posing behind the $1,000 check they won at the Startup competition, at the Barnett Center, on Sept. 28. Credit: Tristan Relet-Werkmeister | Lantern Reporter

The 2018 Barnett Symposium on Public Policy and the Arts brought together more than 125 students, alumni and art leaders to discuss the future of art through keynote speakers and panel discussions.

The symposium celebrated the 50th anniversary of the Department of Arts Administration, Education and Policy; the 25th anniversary of the Barnett Symposium; and the fifth anniversary of the Barnett Center for Integrated Arts and Enterprise Thursday.

“It’s an opportunity to produce a real product because, often, [our classes are] very theoretical or academic and you don’t get to actually execute something,” said Clara Davison, one of the student organizers and a fourth-year in arts management and business.

On Friday, JiaJia Fei, director of digital at The Jewish Museum in New York, opened with a keynote address on the digital identities of museums and arts institutions. Davison said Fei is considered to be one of the founders of the movement to incorporate social media in art museums.

Following Fei’s speech were two panel discussions entitled “Illuminating Social Responsibility: Community Action & Impact” and “Illuminating Connections: Globalization through the Arts.”

The closing address was offered by Joseph Conyers, co-founder of Project 440, an organization dedicated to educating and guiding young musicians. He spoke about the intersection of artistic and social entrepreneurship.

The Barnett Symposium ended with STARTUP, Ohio State’s first arts entrepreneurship competition. Three artistic, student-led enterprises pitched their initiative projects to judges who are experts in their respective fields — design, social entrepreneurship and law.

Iuka Productions won the competition and received $1,000 to make its project a reality. The student group aims to represent diverse stories through filmmaking, said producer of the enterprise Sonia Rayka, a fourth-year in comparative studies and Spanish. The small company already has a documentary and two short films lined up.

“Other than motivation, it’s showing that people believe in us,” said Zane Abraham, cinematographer for Iuka Productions and a fourth-year in marketing and film production.

Visitors enjoyed popcorn and drinks during a viewing of “Twenty Years of Arts Policy & Administration,” a documentary on the history of the Department of Arts Administration, Education and Policy. Guests were invited to take pictures on the “Scarlet Carpet” before the screening.

The viewing was followed by a reception where students, alumni and local arts leaders gathered for the exhibition “Illumination,” which displayed student works of self-portraiture.

Between panels, participants also enjoyed music performances from CELLOHIO, an Ohio State cello ensemble, and Chamber Brews, an orchestra that combines its love for chamber music and beer by serving drinks to the audience, creating a relaxed environment that encourages conversation between the musicians and attendees.

“Looking back, I would be less scared to try new things, it’s the whole point of this entire symposium: curiosity and sharing ideas,” Davison said.