Students at the Buckeye Standup Comedy Club listen to other members tell jokes and perform standup. Credit: Ashley Kimmel | Lantern Reporter

The Buckeye Standup Comedy Club will kick off the new year the way it knows best: telling jokes.

The club’s first showcase of the year will take place at Donatos Pizza on Friday and consist of five-minute acts from 11 of the club’s members, and a 15-minute act from local comedian Chris Fenner, according to an email sent by the club.

“We pride ourselves in putting on really good shows,” said Ian Gray, a fourth-year in public policy analysis and the club’s primary leader. “We try to — especially in the fall but also in the spring — bring in freshmen or people who haven’t seen comedy yet and really wow them with how funny normal, everyday people can be.”

Gray added that every act is different, and due to the style and varying number of participating members, a strategic and effective mix of acts are made for each showcase.

Sophie Warner, a fourth-year in political science and Chinese, will perform on Friday and said she holds a very personal and relatable sense of humor.

“I like observational humor, like when someone can notice something about our shared human experience,” Warner said.

Friday will be Warner’s first performance as a member of the group. Warner said joining the club along with preparing for her first show has been a way to step out of her comfort zone.

“I know that I’ve had trouble in the past with being confident, and it’s just something in the past year that I’ve actually realized in myself,” Warner said. “It’s really just trying to break out of that area of just being scared all of the time.”

The Buckeye Standup Comedy Club will begin its 2019 season at 7 p.m. Friday at Donatos Pizza on N. High Street. Admission is free for all.