Ohio State then-freshman midfielder Jackson Reid looks for an open shooting lane against Michigan on April 13, 2018. Ohio State won 8-5. Credit: Edward Sutelan | Editor-in-Chief

Junior attacking midfielder Tre LeClaire and junior midfielder Jack Jasinski each scored three goals, leading No. 16 Ohio State (1-0) to a 12-9 victory in the season opener against Cleveland State (0-1) on Saturday.

Jasinski and LeClaire displayed the reason why they were named as two of Ohio State’s Big Ten Players to Watch, along with junior midfielder Ryan Terefenko.

But for Jasinski, it was not the goal-scoring performance that was the most important aspect of the game. To him, it was Ohio State’s lack of mistakes

“I wouldn’t say to have a big game, just to have a clean game is the most important thing, and to get consistent play going for the rest of the year,” Jasinski said.

Ohio State sophomore goalie Josh Kirston recorded 16 saves on 37 shots in the season opener.

Head coach Nick Myers called both Jasinski and LeClaire big parts of the team and crucial for the team’s success moving forward.

Ohio State found itself down 1-0 early in the first quarter before roaring back with three straight goals, giving them a  3-1 lead at the end of the quarter on goals from Jasinski, LeClaire and redshirt junior attacker Lucas Buckley.

The Vikings opened up the scoring in the second quarter before Ohio State answered back with two goals, Jasinski’s second and one from sophomore midfielder Jackson Reid, assisted by sophomore midfielder Justin Inacio.

After Cleveland State cut its deficit to 5-4 with two goals of its own, Reid would get his second goal of the game just before the end of the quarter with an assist from Jasinski, leaving the game 6-4 at halftime in favor of the Buckeyes.

The start of the second half began with a goal from LeClaire, and then a pair of two-goal runs by both teams. The Vikings and Buckeyes traded another goal apiece to give Ohio State a 10-7 lead heading into the fourth quarter.

Junior attacker Nick Musci scored his first goal of the season, and Buckley scored his second goal of the game giving Ohio State a lead it would keep the rest of the game.

Cleveland State remained in the game, scoring two straight of its own, but it would be a little too late for the Vikings to make a comeback, ending the game 12-9, leaving the Buckeyes with a win for the first game of the season.

Myers said there is work to be done, but is happy with his team’s start to the season.

“It’s great to get No. 1 and know that we can still play better,” Myers said.