a

The Ohio State University Marching Band forms Script Ohio at the beginning of the game against Maryland Nov. 13. Credit: Amal Saeed | Photo Editor

A lot can change in six months.

On June 21, the No. 5 prospect in California — La Habra High School’s Clark Phillips — announced his commitment to Ohio State. Come Thursday during National Signing Day’s early signing period, 2020’s No. 4 cornerback chose to don a shade of red, but not exactly scarlet and gray.

Phillips flipped his commitment from the Buckeyes to Utah, a program he visited this past Saturday –– the same day Ohio State secondary coach Jeff Hafley was officially announced as the new Boston College head coach.

Hafley was credited as Phillips’ primary recruiter at Ohio State, alongside head coach Ryan Day, and it appears his departure from the program may have inspired a change of heart in the Buckeyes’ top defensive back commit in the class.

Before Utah, Phillips hadn’t taken an official visit to another program since Ohio State in June, the day he announced his initial commitment.

Thus far, Phillips is the first of the 25 players who committed to Ohio State prior to Wednesday to sign with a different team, and he may not be the last.

Four-star athlete prospect Cameron Martinez, this year’s Mr. Football in Michigan, is another Hafley recruit. He and Phillips were the only two players from Ohio State’s class not to sign early Wednesday.

While Phillips took an extra day to deliberate, Martinez his pushed back his signing date to February, allowing ample time for reconsideration or reassurance from the program.

Phillips was the fourth-highest rated player in Ohio State’s class, which had improved from No. 4 to No. 3 in the country prior to his decision.