Two students wear masks as they walk across the oval with Thompson Library in the background.

Mayor Andrew Ginther approved the removal of the city’s mask mandate just one day after the Columbus City Council voted to repeal it. Credit: Christian Harsa | Special Projects Director

Columbus’ mask mandate is a thing of the past effective immediately after Mayor Andrew Ginther signed the repeal Tuesday. 

Ginther signed the repeal one day after the Columbus City Council unanimously approved it, no longer requiring those who are fully vaccinated to wear masks and social distance indoors. The ordinance does not prevent private businesses from requiring customers to wear masks. 

“Repealing the mask mandate aligns the city with the guidelines from the Ohio Department of Health and the CDC,” Ginther said in a tweet. “Our best tool in the fight against COVID-19 remains vaccination, and I encourage residents to get their vaccines.”

The council passed the mask mandate July 6, 2020, requiring residents over 6 years old to wear facial coverings in all public spaces, including indoor and outdoor facilities where social distancing could not be maintained, according to a July 2020 press release.  

Gov. Mike DeWine lifted statewide public health orders Wednesday, including mask and capacity requirements. The decision followed the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s recommendation that those who are fully vaccinated are not required to wear masks indoors and outdoors. 

According to the Ohio Department of Health, approximately 46 percent of the state has been vaccinated. 

Priscilla Tyson, the city council chair for the Health and Human Services Committee, said although public health guidelines are changing, the pandemic is not yet over. 

“We are transitioning to a different stage where the numbers are down and the restrictions are being lifted,” Tyson said.   

Tyson said she encourages those who are not vaccinated to wear masks and get vaccinated. COVID-19 vaccines are offered at the Ohio Expo Center & State Fair’s Celeste Center until June 26 or at Kroger and most retail pharmaceutical locations. 

This story was updated at 7:10 p.m. to include information about Mayor Andrew Ginther signing the repeal Tuesday.