students walking into Jesse Owens North Rec center for COVID-19 testing

COVID-19 cases exceed 2 percent at the end of the first week of fall 2021 classes. Credit: Mackenzie Shanklin | Photo Editor

At the end of the first week of classes, Ohio State’s student COVID-19 positivity rate sits at 2.29 percent. 

The positivity rate increased from a 1.74 percent positivity rate Tuesday, the first day of classes, according to Ohio State’s COVID-19 dashboard.

Since Aug. 1, the university has performed 52,009 COVID-19 tests and 465— or 0.90 percent — have been positive. Everyone returning to campus for the fall, regardless of vaccination status, was asked to complete a COVID-19 test upon arrival.

According to the dashboard, 32 students are quarantined in on-campus quarantine and isolation housing, leaving 71 percent of beds designated for quarantine and isolation available for use.

University President Kristina M. Johnson announced in a universitywide email Tuesday that Ohio State will require students, faculty and staff to receive their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine by Oct. 15. Unvaccinated individuals will not be allowed on campus come spring semester. 

University spokesperson Ben Johnson said Wednesday 73 percent of the university community is fully vaccinated for the coronavirus.

Correction: The article previously incorrectly listed the number of tests performed since Aug. 1 and resulting positivity rate. It has been corrected and updated with the most recent data as of Friday at 11 p.m.