""

(Left) Juliana Chianese as Mary Lennox and Megan Gifford as Martha in the 2021 Actors’ Theatre of Columbus/Columbus Children’s Theatre production of The Secret Garden. Credit: Courtesy of Kyle Long

Tucked away in the emerald heart of Schiller Park, the Actors’ Theatre of Columbus and Columbus Children’s Theatre production of “The Secret Garden” ran its final performance Sunday with the help of several members of the Ohio State community.

The final performance of the season by the Actors’ Theatre of Columbus, “The Secret Garden” — penned in 1911 by Frances Hodgson Burnett and adapted for the stage by Neil Duffield — is a whimsical tale with a touch of grit. Orphaned by a cholera outbreak, young Mary Lennox is shipped from India to England to live with her detached uncle. Upon arriving, she is surrounded by curiosities: a friendly bird, a cousin confined to a chair and a garden abandoned just as she was. With her newfound friends, Mary begins to enliven that garden, growing alongside it to restore her family.

The collaborative efforts of the two theatre groups created an unforgettable show and end to the calendar year for the Actors’ Theatre of Columbus. Combating the challenges of an outdoor venue, such as a particularly bold flock of geese, the cast and crew were professional yet charming. The performance was free to the public, ensuring that live theatre remains accessible to Columbus residents.

Juliana Chianese’s portrayal of Mary Lennox was beautifully bratty, capturing the character’s childhood insecurity and trademark callowness. Her vocal inflection, purposefully shrill, was fit for “the most disagreeable child ever seen.” The actress displayed duality beyond her years, stomping around the stage in one scene and speaking softly of loneliness in the next. 

Opposite of Chianese was Michael Broadhurst in the role of Colin Craven, Mary’s sickly cousin. Broadhurst’s acting style was highly emotive, especially when the character experienced hysteria in the second act. In his actions and mannerisms, one could observe the heartbreaking anxiety of an unloved child.

The supporting cast was similarly gifted, establishing the play’s alluring atmosphere. Megan Gifford, a first-year in early childhood education, impressed as Martha Sowerby. Her characterization was gentle and gracious, fully embodying the servant’s playful attitude at every turn. 

Chris Johnson, who played the brusque gardener Ben Weatherstaff, was another standout performer. Johnson’s comedic timing was superb, alleviating the script’s tension when necessary and allowing for a brighter tone. 

The story was also enhanced by the implementation of puppetry, expertly handled by Katherine Dunham. Each animal, from devious snake to affectionate robin, was given a unique personality that was perceptible to the audience. Furthermore, Dunham’s movement changed based on the creature she was manipulating, a detail that enriched the production as a whole. 

The technical elements of the performance were simple yet effective. The set, constructed by Brendan Michna, consisted of silver archways and green strands of ivy. The pieces functioned as an extension of the park’s foliage, maximizing the space and making use of the natural ambiance. Rowan Winterwood, the lighting designer, ensured the stage was golden and dreamlike. As the sun set, Winterwood’s lights took over, illuminating the cast without being too harsh. 

Yet another noteworthy aspect of the play was the costume design, which aligned with each character’s dynamic journey. Costume designer Rebekah Priebe has worked in the field for 10 years, and her experience showed. As Mary and Colin grew more comfortable with each other, the colors and prints of their wardrobe became increasingly vivid. By the plot’s end, the clothes were at their brightest, contrasting sharply with the bichrome scenery to produce a stunning visual. Scene changes were set to twinkling music, and were not disruptive in the least.

Made possible by the Actors’ Theatre of Columbus and Columbus Children’s Theatre, “The Secret Garden” exuded magical realism and beautifully rounded out a year of performances by the former company. As 2021 unfolds and 2022 looms, perhaps people will find more of a connection to Mary Lennox than ever before as we attempt to navigate a world full of sickness towards what one can hope will be a brighter tomorrow.