One man is dead after a five-hour standoff with police Sunday morning near Ohio State's South campus. Credit: Lantern File Photo

One man is dead after a five-hour standoff with police Sunday morning near Ohio State’s South campus. Credit: Lantern File Photo

A version of this story was published Monday at 7:42 p.m. and has since been updated to account for new information from a police report.

One man is dead after an over-five-hour-long barricade standoff with the Columbus Division of Police Sunday morning.

According to police records, officers initially responded to a 911 call around 8 a.m. on the 1500 block of Worthington Street, during which the caller reported a former roommate had potentially broken into the residence. When officers arrived, the armed suspect — later identified as Asante Miller, 21 — fled the scene but was later located nearby, where he was verbally warned multiple times to drop his gun. Upon his refusal, officers discharged their firearms, though Miller avoided police by entering a residence at the 100 block of West 8th Avenue.

As officers searched the residence, they reportedly fired additional shots upon finding Miller in hiding and hearing gunfire from the room he was in. After ordering Miller to show himself, police heard a single gunshot from Miller’s room. At this point, police cleared out and radioed that no officers were injured but they needed a SWAT team.

At 9:47 a.m., police records state SWAT officers arrived at the scene. At 12:48 p.m., SWAT officers entered the home and found Miller not breathing. At 1:15 p.m., Miller was pronounced dead. The cause of death is still unknown.

University spokesperson Dan Hedman confirmed that the Ohio State Police Department assisted in the pursuit, though the Columbus Division of Police remain the lead agency.

University spokesperson Ben Johnson said Miller has no affiliation with Ohio State.

This is a breaking news story that will be updated as more information is obtained.