Home » Campus » White House lists Ohio State attack as one lacking media attention

White House lists Ohio State attack as one lacking media attention

Law-enforcement officials stand near the body of Abdul Razak Ali Artan, lying near the Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering and Chemistry building on North Campus. Credit: Mason Swires | Assistant Photo Editor

The Nov. 28 attack at Ohio State was among 78 attacks White House officials released on a list Monday evening in an effort to support President Donald Trump’s claim that the media under-reports or ignores terrorism related to Muslim radicals.

Earlier on Monday, Trump accused the media of not wanting to cover terrorist attacks related to Muslim radicals, without providing examples or reasoning as to why the media would pursue that route.

“It’s gotten to a point where it’s not even being reported, and in many cases, the very, very dishonest press doesn’t want to report it,” he said at MacDill Air Force Base in Tampa, Florida.

To date, The Lantern has published at least 35 articles either about the attack or referencing the attack.

The White House partially walked back his statements, later providing a list of incidents — not all of which have been declared terrorism, but have been referenced as such by the White House — that the administration says didn’t get enough coverage.

At OSU, Abdul Razak Ali Artan, a third-year in logistics management, injured about a dozen people with a knife and a vehicle before being killed by police.

Artan was Muslim, though the FBI has yet to call the event terrorism, or radical-Islamic terrorism. The story dominated local and national news cycles, made front-page news across the country, including in The New York Times and The Washington Post, and received devoted airtime from CNN, ABC and NBC, among others.

The articles are listed below, in chronological order.

Live updates: Knifing suspect killed on North Campus

Accounts of knife attack at Ohio State details chaos on Monday morning

Gallery: Attack at Ohio State on Nov. 28

What we know and what we don’t know about the Ohio State knife attack

Press conference provides further details on campus stabbings

Lantern TV: Ohio State campus stabbing

From the archives: Ohio State attacker featured in Humans of Ohio State

Second press conference recap: Drake, Kasich, Ginther and others speak on campus incident

Heightened counseling services available for students, faculty in wake of incident

Officer who shot campus attacker was previously profiled as a new hire

Reporter who profiled Artan recalls a nervous new student

Community, students gather for vigil at local church

Witnesses recount car crash, stabbings, lock down

Ohio State community shaken following violent attack on campus

ISIS claims Ohio State attack

Victim, a professor, holds out judgement on Ohio State attacker

Students question level of preparedness in Monday’s attack

Student Life puts up support banners in wake of attack

Students gather at vigil, share reactions after attack

FBI: Too soon to call Monday’s attack terrorism

Ohio State orders removal of department’s banners

911 calls from Monday reveal fear, confusion on campus

Ohio State employee’s Facebook status causes tension

Terrorism claims surrounding Ohio State attack yet to be backed up by motive

Men’s hockey: No. 10 Ohio State opens Big Ten play at No. 11 Minnesota

Muslim Students’ Association hosts open house for Columbus community

Open carrying protesters walk through campus to campaign for gun rights

Analysis: Ohio State trailing Big Ten peers in ratio of police officers to students

Trump to host private events at Ohio State on Thursday

Trump: ‘It’s an honor’ to meet with victims, first responders

Allowing concealed carry at Ohio State ‘not under consideration’

Abdul Razak Ali Artan’s name added to student group’s list of people of color killed by police

National security, media professors analyze November campus attack

Ohio State attacker went from 3.7 GPA to ‘feeling unmotivated,’ records show

Alexander Hamilton Society to host debate on anti-terrorism policy

1. The problem is not that the media doesn’t report on the attacks, it’s that the media will not admit that refugees and immigrants do commit such attacks, and that they are motivated by terrorism. Almost every mainstream media outlet has said, since the travel ban was enacted, that no terrorist attack has been committed by anyone from the 7 banned countries. This is simply not true, and that is where the media is purposely misleading and disingenuous. Cynical people do not trust the news anymore because of situations just like this.

2. Megg, specifically which attacks, that were terrorist-motivated, are you speaking abt?? The Paris attacks? Because the entire world acknowledged those were terrorist attacks. France even escalated their military operations as a direct result. The Sandy Hook attacks? The South Carolina church? The Pulse Night Club? Because this were all white male natural born USA citizens. Columbine? Pls do share with all of us which U.S. specific attacks that were perpetrated by Islamic or Muslim radicals so we can get to the bottom of this. And then we’ll start our list of white, Christian hate crimes that have been committed on U.S. soil so we can start deporting those ppl, too. Because I’m with you!! I want these terrorist attacks to stop!!

3. Megg, specifically which attacks, that were terrorist-motivated, are you speaking abt?? The Paris attacks? Because the entire world acknowledged those were terrorist attacks. France even escalated their military operations as a direct result. The Sandy Hook attacks? The South Carolina church? The Pulse Night Club? Because thise were all white male natural born USA citizens. Columbine? Pls do share with all of us which specific U.S. attacks whuch were perpetrated by Islamic or Muslim radicals so we can get to the bottom of this. And then we’ll start our list of white, Christian hate crimes that have been committed on U.S. soil so we can start deporting those ppl, too. Because I’m with you!! I want these terrorist attacks to stop!!

4. Megg, you are absolutely correct. There have been attacks by individuals from some of these countries. Often they are categorized as workplace violence, robberies, etc., hence validating President Trump’s point about under reporting.

It makes no difference whether anyone from those countries have committed a terrorist attack or not. They have done do in other countries, so the risk at this point in time is high enough that we must consider it a real possibility.

Waiting for someone from one of these high risk countries to kill Americans on our own soil before we take action is irresponsible and foolish. I am not willing to risk the safety of my family and friends. Vetting legal immigrants and stopping illegals are the highest priority. Americans come first.

• Pat, Do you know enough about the current vetting system to say that it is ineffective? Considering that our country hasn’t suffered another 9-11 since 2001, it seems that the agencies in charge are doing a good job at vetting refugees and immigrants and monitoring homeland security situations.

• It’s a long time tactic. Take big tobacco or climate change. No one is actually confused about the science. A few scientists, I believe, shamelessly the same in both cases are paid big money with the assumption that they will spread the word that, “we just don’t know enough yet…” It only takes one for someone that isn’t motivated in the truth to pretend to be a sceptic to benefit their actual purpose. Why else would Exxon increase the height of they platforms and invest as much as anyone preserving profits via non-petroleum based energy?

This — is that. It’s very clear how petition to the US for asylum works. Look it up yourself. Something like 12 or 16 different federal agencies and medical staffs vett an applicant over 18-24 months and the whole process ends up accepting less than 3% of applicants. Those trying to confuse voters will say, “but, there are no DBs in those people could be anyone…” And that is exactly why the process takes 18-24 months and dozens agencies to accomplish.

Politicians have always been smarmy and deceitful, but regardless of your politics, we’d all be wise to realize these will flat-out lie to your face if it means they can do whatever it is they are trying to accomplish in any given moment, and lie to you about the lying.

At this point, I tend to assume the opposite of what I am being told is true until I have a chance to verify it.

Strange times.

5. In a way you could take the presidents dismissal of the lantern’s long list of stories as a compliment. He seems to consider your journalistic chops right alongside those small town papers The New York Times and The Washington Post.

6. I don’t think the president was criticizing the coverage of The Lantern. The problem was that early in the attack the incident was reported nationally as a shooting, which was spread far and wide throughout national and international media. By the time that it was clarified that it was a stabbing, and that a Muslim immigrant was the culprit, the media coverage nationally had waned. By the next day, there was almost no national coverage of the aftermath. It was like the incident never happened.

When it was a campus shooting, everyone was interested, since that fits the anti-gun narrative in the media. Once it was an unhappy immigrant with a knife the mainstream media went silent.

Kudos to The Lantern for it’s continued coverage. As a campus news source, that’s actually what we expect of you. Unfortunately, your readership is very localized to the campus community.

7. “To date, The Lantern has published at least 35 articles either about the attack or referencing the attack.” That’s funny, The Lantern thinks that anyone outside the OSU community reads it?

8. The OSU attack was covered nationally enough that Trump made it a point to come make a publicity stop here. That’s the part he probably felt didn’t get covered enough.

9. Unless the attack is sometime 20 years from now, why on earth would someone planning to arrive and promptly die seek legitimate entry into the US? A process taking at least a year, but more likely 18-24 months. Also, less than 3% are accepted… Does that seem like a better, more efficient way than many central Americans sneaking in on the roof of a train, or otherwise immediately entering the country? It’s an illogical notion. “I’d feel a lot better about exploding this vest and killing as many random people as possible if only I manage to get legit work visa by going through the proper channels…” Stop hating people because you were told to be scared by the only person who can save you! Sheep have been falling for that tactic all the way back to prehistoric times.

The Pilgrims are the only refugees I am aware of to ever attack those that took them in…